We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for advice

Which Gothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for advice

I am taking my girlfriend to Gothenburg in 2 weeks and have a few questions. My hotel is the Spar Majorna on Karljohansgatan Street, can you walk to the city centre or would you advise a tram? Do the trams tell you the street name when stopping?

The reason we are going is jointly for her birthday and also because I am going to propose, I want to do it somewhere different and was thinking of the ice bar/cafe in Liseberg...for anyone who has been do you think this would be a good idea?

Finally, and probably most importantly I've heard different stories regarding the price of a pint (of beer) can you give me a rough idea on what I would be expected to pay?

Östersund
Level Contributor
47 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for advice

It is a little bit to far to walk so take the tram, you can see all the stations on a digital sign in the tram and I think they also call out the name of the station.

It takes about 10 minutes to the center with the tram from the hotel

Take line number 3 towards Marklandsgatan or number 9 towards Kungsten. Get of at Chapmans Torg. About 50 meters from station.

Beer-prices will differ alot depending on the time of they day and where you got, you can find beer from 25:- up to 55:- sek. Check for after-work prices from 16-21.

Regarding the ice-bar I am sorry but haven´t seen it but Liseberh around christmas is usually romantic and nice so it would be pretty nice I think.

Good luck with the girl!!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for advice

Thanks for that reply, very useful.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
607 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for advice

A great place for proposing would be Heaven 23 on top of the hotel Gothia. It overlooks Liseberg which is beautiful this time of year as well as other parts of Gothenburg. And they have the best gigant shrimp sandwich - might be good with celebratory champagne!

Good luck!

Holywood, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for advice

I've just returned, The icebar is set in liseburg park, which is very romantic, they have ice skating and ice shows, reindeer rides and some amusements are open. It is best left to after 7pm. The ice bar is very small with only one seat, its well worth a visit, but can get busy very quickly, they only serve vodka derivatives. The restaurant Rakan( www.rakan.se) is close to liseburg you will have a good time in there and the owner will make you fell very special. If its good enough for Mel Gibson (braveheart) you have the scottish connection. The owner is from liverpool and you would think he was one of the beatles. Fantastic seafood, delivered on remote controlled boats, sounds cheesy, but its actually not and is very memorable. I enjoyed it more than Venice.

Beer is £4 in most places

Champagne around £7.50 a glass

Bottle of house wine around £20

5. Re: Looking for advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 14, 2009