We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and Around Karlstad

Which Gothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
In and Around Karlstad

I will be going to Karlstad at the end of May for 4 days. What is there to do around there? I really enjoy outdoor activities (hiking, biking, etc.). I want to visit a city that is "normal", without too many tourists. Did I make the right choice?

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: In and Around Karlstad

I visited Karlstad in 2001 and found both the town and the surrounding countryside in Värmland province very pleasant indeed. I also enjoy “ordinary” places. Such tourists as I encountered were mostly Swedes on holiday, as this was July. It will be quieter and have an even more local feel in May. The town itself has parks beside the river and a spacious feel, along with the bustle and facilities of being the major local centre for the area.

Lake Vanern is nearby, and also the river valleys north of the town have good public transport (bus, local train), offering more opportunities for country walks, boat trips etc. As well as staying a couple of nights in Karlstad I also stayed in Sunne (popular camping, though I actually stayed in a old manor house!) and in the vicinity I visited the sculpture park at Rottneros, places associated with the writer Selma Lagerlöf, and took a boat trip on a tiny restored steam ship “Freja af Fryken”. For such places, trips and museums you need to check with the tourist office before setting out as May is earlier than the holiday season.

There are many opportunities for more strenuous and adventure activities in the area than I have personal experience of (for example canoeing and biking seem popular), but I do like walking, and you may find this link interesting for the Sunne area

varmland.org/sunne/…default.html

The tourist office in Karlstad is http://www.karlstad.se and their e-mail tourist@karlstad.se

2. Re: In and Around Karlstad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 30, 2009