We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange in Uppsala from maryland

Which Uppsala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
exchange in Uppsala from maryland

Hi,

I'm a student at the University of Maryland in the United States and i visited Sweden and Norway last December for a couple weeks and loved it. I want to study at Uppsala next fall and just had a few questions.

I know virtually everyone that is of the college age speaks english but i was just wondering how comfortable students are with it and if they mind speaking english with say an american exchange student?

Is it hard meeting friends considering you speak a different language and are exchange students usually stuck together in dorms?

thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange in Uppsala from maryland

Hi!

As a former student at Uppsala University I'm glad to see that you are considering studying there!

In my experience most students will be very relaxed about speaking english with you. I wouldn't worry about it.

As a student at Uppsala University you'll be encouraged/required to join a student association called a "nation". These used to organize and care for students from different parts of the country, but in latter years they have become more loosely tied to their regional origins. The choice of nation is nowadays more of a personal preference, usually tied to where your friends are members or what type of music you like. These "nationer" (plural) usually arrange very extensive programmes for exchange students to get to know the city and each other, and if you choose to participate youre sure to meet at least a few locals. In addition, the faculties or classes usually have their own socializing events where you'll get a chance to meet people. I sincerely doubt you'll have any trouble finding friends, be it locals or other exchange students.

As for housing, I don't recall ever hearing that exchange students got stuck together in dorms. Make sure to contact the Uppsala student union http://www.uppsalastudentkar.nu/en as I think they can help you sort any questions you might have about housing. They are also launching an "international buddy program" to help exchange students get settled in, so you might want to check that out.

Good luck on your studies!

2. Re: exchange in Uppsala from maryland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 14, 2009