We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Exchange Program

Which Uppsala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Student Exchange Program

hi im from Singapore going to Uppsala for exchange next year. Very excited at this moment. Something i would like to check is , is there any good church around? Secondly is the living expense in Uppsala high? Appreciate. :)

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student Exchange Program

Hi

Welcome to our lovely town. I hope you will enjoy it.

The living expanses are quite high in Uppsala especially the cost for housing. Eating out is also rather expensive - an entree is usually around 150 kr. But there a lot of pizzerias and other fast food joints that are cheap. The food costs have dropped the last couple of years. You should buy food at the large supermarkets like Willys, Kvantum and ICA Maxi and not use the smaller foosstores which are much more expensive. You can easily use a bike to get around town, its not that large or use the buses. Having a car is expensive.

Uppsala has Swedens largest church; Domkyrkan and a whole lot of other churches as well.

Look at these links:

http://www.uppland.nu/

http://www.ul.se/

uppsala.se/uppsala/templates/InternationalSt…

Have a great time and just ask more questions if you have them.

Matte75

Lijiang
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Student Exchange Program

Concratulations and welcome to Sweden!

I might guess that it's an exchange with some part of the University?

Uppsala is an old University town, read more at:

uppsala.se/uppsala/templates/StandardPage___…

Don't hesitage to use help from the Student's Union at the school or university where you will study. It's important to pay the membership for the Student's Union when you arrive!

I have lived abroad myself and by my experience of that I will give you one important warning! In many countries in the world are the way of studying and the roll of the teachers act different to Sweden, which might be good to know, so it will not make you any problems.

While in many countries teachers are checking the students telling them "do that" and "do that" and "don't do that" the way of studying in Sweden is that the teacher expects the students do what shall be done and take their own responsibillity for to study and follow the instructions that is given at the start. If you know that differense from the beginning and check it up further more with your students union then it will not be any problems for you. But Swedish teachers and students who has not lived abroad are not always known about this different. And never be afraid to go directly to the teacher and ask.

About the food I will say that if you go out for eating at the day-time Swedish lunch-restaurants use to have about 4 or more different kind of dishes during the time 11.00 - 14.00 (11 AM to 2 PM). I don't live in Uppsala but it normally use to be a price around 60-70 SEK. That use to include a separete dish with sallad that you can choice yourself.

But I know that around or in the University are restaurants for the students which has a price between 45-55 SEK for a lunch. But I will recommend you to send a mail or a letter directly to your University and ask theme.

What might be difficult is to find a flat or a room for living if that's not arranged in the exchange then you must start to search in good time because there is many who needs to find. But there use to be also special buildings for students "studentbostäder". If you live in there I will recommend you to try to start a group to eat together with - a "matlag". That means that one or two makes the dinner for all of you one day in every week or something like that and then the other makes for all the other day.

I don't know your etnicty and what kind of food you prefer because the Swedish food is different from for example the chinese way.

But many stores also do have some asian food and I guess there also are a special asian-food store in Uppsala - in Stockholm you can find several stores run by asian people and special for asian food.

The web-page for the Swedish railways is:

www.sj.se/sj/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=10&l=en

You can travel from Uppsala to Stockholm Central in 40 minutes station to station. Stockholm is the capital city of Sweden and has a lovely archipelago that in fact starts in the city, because Stockholm is built up on several islands.

Well it's night and I need to sleep, but hopefully I have given you some help - in otherwize just ask again!

Good luck and again - welcome to Sweden!

singapore
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student Exchange Program

thanks alot for both of your valuable advise.:) So excited !!!

4. Re: Student Exchange Program

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, September 08, 2009