We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quesada was not what I expected

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Quesada was not what I expected

Ciudad Quesada was a dissappointment. Imagine authentic tapas bars and short trips to quiet sandy beaches, then Quesada isn't for you! In reality Quesada is full of little, very seperate urbanisations and the centre is full of souvenir shops and english/irish bars. If you are going purely for sunshine and to relax then it is fine but if you want to see the real Spain I'd venture further into the mountains.

67 replies to this topic
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

Hi,

I read your review - thanks very much for the info. I wonder if you heard of any problems whilst you were there? I found a notice about tourists being targeted by gangs in Quesada and the foreign office had advised against visiting Quesada in July 2011.

Thanks

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

Ciudad Quesada in Spain? I can't imagine that and certainly didn't see any sign of gangs.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

Thanks for your reply

Northop, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

Foreign Office advisory for Ciudad Quesada in Spain? No way! There is another place in Spain, simply called Quesada, but I find that hard to believe as well. Another country, perhaps?

I am British and I live in Ciudad Quesada, and I wouldn't call it a holiday resort. We are a ten minute drive from the nearest beach. Having said that there are a lot of tourists here in summer, but I would think they are mostly staying with ex-pat relatives or just day trippers. We love living here - the centre of the village has a pretty main street full of lively bars and good restaurants, a Fiesta in August, a good community of all nationalities, a golf course. The outskirts have the separate urbanisations.

Ireland Wicklow...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

I have to say I find Quesada a great holiday destination. I've been coming here since 2001. The village itself is not that big but has everything you would need, however a car is essential in my opinion. With that in mind, there are lots of small towns very close by which will give you a taste of the real Spain with small streets and tapas bars. Benijofar and Rojales are almost walking distance from Quesada village and are both beautiful to take a walk around. San Miguel de Salinas is about 10 mins drive away and is on a beautiful road into the mountains. If you want to head further afield 45 mins south will bring you to the historical fort city of Cartagena which is a fantastic place to spend a day, or a similar trip north will bring you to Guadalest, in the mountains outside Benidorm, again a fantastic way to spend a day. And I haven't metioned the larger towns/cities like Alicante/Elche/Murcia/Torrevieja etc. all within 30/40mis of Quesada. Basically Quesad itself is just one small village with some urbanisations, but it is the area as a whole that makes this such a fantastic place to spend your holidays.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

Ciudad Quesada was featured on 'Place in the Sun 'new series about two weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before. Certainly some cheap property to buy there now, but looked an awful place similiar to Torrevieja full of ex pats and no Spaniards.

I can see why the property is so cheap in these places. As well as being repossessed by the banks, people realise they are not the idylllic areas to live they originally thought they were

Fine, if you want a cheap bolt hole in the sun living on top of your neighbours. Sorry, not for me.

Sheffield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

I have to disagree about the above statement.

Quesada is a very nice place even though we don't live there bu thave a place on a urbinization.i t has it's mixture of different nationalites ( not all british but there is a few).

The bars down in the town get very full in the summer evenings with the spanish population and different nationalities. Like most places you have to explore to find out where the best places are and if you wish to avoid the british bars you can, also some great places to eat.

I would say that the property there is cheap at the moment but so is everywhere else it's the current climate.

I wish we had discovered the areawhen ourkids were young, instead of rip off package holidays we use to go on,but like you say may not suit everyone.

Overall a great place to holiday especially with your family.

northern ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

having recently bought in quesada i have to agree that it was cheap compared to before the current market crash but thats the same all over the world not just in spain.

i previously had a smaller house in la siesta in the late 90s and was luck to sell it at the right time.

but back to the comments about quesada i only have the villa for a holiday home but as its detachedi dont have anyone on top of me as the reviewer mentioned .

the area and flights and various attractions is a plus and the beach and way of life suits most.

take time to see around you and make judgements and comments when better informed.

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

I lived in Quesada for 6 month and loved the walks I would get lost for hours out and about finding Spanish villages to look around. Quesada is very hilly and very steep driving on the roads and also walking needless to say I lost weight while there. There are stunning views to see from different point around the estate. The main bars, restaurants and shops are found just at the entrance through the gateway of the town near is the Irish bar its huge serving food one side and has a outside lounge area to the front a big bar on the inside also up stairs there's a beautiful romantic lounge with all nooks and crannies to chillout in and very quiet. There are lots of bars around this area to the side of the gateway before you enter into the town just to the left is a bar called Mr Smiths lots of karaoke if weather is good its outside on the front, dance floor inside games and quiz nights great fun and staff great. Never seen any trouble at all everyone who I met was lovely friendly helpful people with beautiful villas and apartment. Guardermar beach is 10 mins by car beautiful long beach also there's a nature trail walk and a park with all kinds of tropical birds all this can be found to the far left of the town car parking next to nature park area. There is a 1000+ things to see and do around this area I'm just touching on a few points...If you can get off your bum.

Edited: 8:26 am, November 06, 2012
Nantes, France
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quesada was not what I expected

I bought an apartment in Quesada two years ago for holidays . I love the area and there are lots of beautiful villas and apartments, not all on top of each other.

My children all speak Spanish, we live in France and are rather spoiled re good food etc.. By speaking Spanish, they have met Spanish people and have discovered amazing restaurants ,a great social life with their Spanish friends and they have discovered beautiful places where they can scuba dive etc . they want to go on holiday there every summer and as a result I have to book to use my apartment!!

Yes, there are ex pats everywhere ,but it depends on the person and learning the language is important as it makes it easier to integrate, people often complain but do not speak the language ...What I love about Quesadsa is one can drive to many lovely places > Torrevieja is vibrant with many chic bars , surprising ,if you read all the reviews you would not go there, but we love it ,the fish market and some great restaurants . , Guardamar is 10 mins by car and it is very Spanish the beaches are beautiful .,I watched "Place in the Sun" last week possibly a repeat and it did not inspire me . I am very happy to spend time in Quesada and when my friends have visited they all want to go back as we are all well travelled .

Reply to: Quesada was not what I expected
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ciudad Quesada