We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Assistance

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Assistance

We arrive from NY on a weekday morning at about 9:30 am. We are taking the Arlanda Express into Stockholm. I would guess that we would be at the hotel sometime before noon. We have the balance of that day, the next two full days, and the last day until our cruise leaves at 4:00 pm.

We have the 72 hour Stockholm card. I am thinking that the first day we might be best visiting Gamla Stan as we could be exhausted and this would not require the activation of the Stockholm Card. On our first full day, hopefully well rested, we can do the Vasa Museum and Skansen. I have researched the options quite a bit and I can fill in what to do each day but I am looking for suggestions as to whether visiting the Old City makes the most sense for our day of arrival.

Singapore
Level Contributor
282 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Assistance

Hi, I had about the same duration in Stockholm last year (see my blog entry:

http://clumsycompass.blogspot.sg/2013/09/stockholm-taste-of-sweden-in-3-days-22.html)

The old town would take up a few hours, so it should cover your first day. It is likely that you would enter it over the next 1 to 2 days, especially if you wish to visit the Royal Palace. If you are staying near the city area, it may not be necessary to purchase the Stockholm Card, that is if you don't mind walking. Have fun!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Assistance

Medic_5,

jet lag will affect people differently. Play it by ear and go from there.

If Gamla Stan is convenient, i would do it. i think its really cool place. feels really cozy and i love the windy streets. Even walking along the waterfront is nice.

good luck and i know you will enjoy Stockholm.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Assistance

We are just back from Stockholm and we did Gamla Stan on the first half day we were there as well. We travel quite a bit and now never get the 'XXX Card' as we find they don't represent value and it places too much stress on you to get from one place to the next. However, that's just us and the Stockholm Card may suit you. Gamla Stan is a nice place to explore, particularly some of the tiny walkways, but it is very 'touristy'. It opens until quite late, so if it is your thing, I'd have a look at the Nobel Museum first, which is in Gamla Stan and after that do most of your exploring. The Vasa Museum is just amazing. We went for a quick look and spent 4 hours there. After that we walked our way up to Skansen. We got there and after seeing families come out, we made further enquiries before we went in and it wasn't for us. It is like a themed park you find in many cities with staff dressed in period costume etc. Perhaps check this before you go in. Another idea if you are in the area, is take the tram to the end of the line (which is just where it stops for a while before looping back). Walk to the Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde. You don't need to go in but the walk is lovely and you get good views across to Gamla Stan. We loved Stockholm so I hope you do too.

4. Re: Itinerary Assistance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 04, 2015