We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 hour layover in Stockholm

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
9 hour layover in Stockholm

I am flying through Stockholm in early May with a layover, and on a budget. For transportation I will most likely take the 583 bus to Marsta, and if I'm in a rush on the return trip I will go straight to Arlanda station and pay the extra fee. I plan to purchase a 24 hr travel card, and my first simple question is can I do that at Arlanda or do I need to purchase online before I go?

Second question, any advice on what to see/tour or what to avoid? Most of my time will be spent around Gamla Stan & what I can easily access nearby. The 24hr card covers the ferry to Djurgården so that's an option. I love exploring places with loads of history so I will be fine just walking around and enjoying the views. But if there's something you won't find on most travel forums I shouldn't miss...

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 hour layover in Stockholm

The SL 24 hour card can be purchased at Arlanda Central Station, located between terminal 4 and 5.

Old Town is very nice so you could easily spend a few hours there. The Wasa Musem could also be nice if you're in to history: http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/

More ideas could be found here: visitstockholm.com/en/…

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
515 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 hour layover in Stockholm

From Gamla Stan, you could take a walk, (or a bus) up to the heights of Södermalm, to Fjällgatan.

Not only is it nice old quarters, but you will also be able to see Stockholm and its islands and waters, from above. It's one of the best views you can get in Stockholm.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
334 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 hour layover in Stockholm

If you are a medieval history buff, consider going to Uppsala instead. It is faster to get there, and in the very worst case, it's cheaper to take a taxi to the airport from there. Uppsala may not be as well known, but with-in a 10 minute walk of central station. Old town had the largest church, the biggest palace in Sweden and the oldest University in Europe. Linneas garden in close by too, some of the trees were planted by him. More than enough to fill the time you have.

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 hour layover in Stockholm

Thank you all for the advice. I hope to have time for the Vasa museum, and get over to Södermalm to enjoy the views.

5. Re: 9 hour layover in Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 16, 2015