We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which services take cash only?

Durban
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which services take cash only?

Hi,

We are leaving in 3 weeks for a trip to Norway, Sweden & Denmark and am wondering how much cash to take in advance for transport & food only for places that don't accept debit or credit cards this is obviously before we get the chance to draw cash at the withdrawal machines.

Can anyone advise as I have been told that most services, taxi, bus etc. accept Mastercard or Visa

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which services take cash only?

You don't need much cash when visiting Sweden. There are a few small restaurants that only accept cash, but they are very few. It's possible that you won't need cash at all. I can't recall when I last used cash. I'm paying everything with my credit card.

I've heard that some people had problems with international Visa / Mastercards in grocery stores in Norway, but I never tried that when I was there.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which services take cash only?

All supermarkets and major grocery stores in Norway accept Visa/Mastercard these days. 10 years ago this was a big issue in Norway, but not now (partly due to the fact two of the biggest chains have thir own creditcard now).

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which services take cash only?

The problem wasn't that they didn't accept e.g a Visa card issued by a Norwegian bank. The problem only happened with international Visa cards.

Here's a page that mentioned the problem, and it was written in 2012.

ecm27.ecanews.org/general-information.html

"The national currency is Norwegian Krona (NOK), equal to 7.5 NOK to the Euro (February 2012). Cash in NOK can be retrieved at most ATM’s which are plentiful in the city. International credit cards are widely accepted in hotels, larger stores and tourism associated shops. However, smaller shops and eating places often do not accept such international cards, even if they have MasterCard and Visa stickers on the door. These stickers refer to cards issued in Norway only. If you are in doubt, do ask before ordering."

My GF also had problems when she tried to use her Swedish issued Visa card in a grocery store in Olso that accepted Visa cards. That happened ~5 years ago.

Edited: 9:53 am, November 15, 2013
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which services take cash only?

A handful of places still do not take credit cards, mainly in rural areas (actually came across a pizza restaurant in Kirkenær earlier this autumn that didn't accept any form of cards). As the organization of receiving payment by card has been upgraded during the last decade the differentiation between nationally and internationally issued cards have mostly disapeared.

Unfortunately there have been instances in some stores (esp with franchise driven) where the owner has disabled the possibility to pay by non-Norwegian cards, as the store have to pay a higher fee for this.

The main problem has been that people (Norwegians) belive they use Visa or Mastercard, but the card payment is done by the Norwegian intra-bank system Bankaxept (more often than not the card is bundled with Visa or Mastercard for use online or abroad). This of course results in some merchants saying they accept Visa, while in fact they only accept Bankaxept.

5. Re: Which services take cash only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 17, 2014