We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm City Bikes question

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Topic
Stockholm City Bikes question

We're planning to use City Bikes in Stockholm next week. One evening we're going to be eating at Proviant, Sturegatan 19. There is a City Bike stand nearby. I have been reading the City Bike website, but I am still confused about the time limits and whether I can take a City Bike to ride back to the hotel after dinner. I can use a city bike for three hours, but the latest I can pick one up is 22h00. So, unless we finish dinner before 22h00, City Bike is not useful in this case. Have I understood that correctly?

Any other tips, guidance or warnings about City Bikes also gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 3:29 pm, August 25, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm City Bikes question

OK, so I didn't get any help with this question (and actually I still don't quite know how it works with City Bikes after hours) but in case anyone else is thinking about using the service: I can recommend it.

I paid SKr 165 for a three-day card bought at my hotel. It worked fine and was a bargain compared with the price of a taxi ride. The bikes are everywhere. They are a bit clunky (I had a couple where second gear didn't really work) but otherwise fine. The City Bike iPhone app was a great help. It updates bike availability only where you have internet access, but the map works off-line, so you'll find your way to a drop-off point even without data roaming.

Almost everyone in Stockholm wears a cycling helmet, although it's not a legal requirement apparently and I didn't have one. In Amsterdam only tourists wear helmets, but we're just stupid not to wear them IMO. The city is quite bike friendly, but in several places cycles and pedestrians share the same space, so you have to watch out as a cyclist.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Boston...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm City Bikes question

Thanks MrOther, I am going next week and wondering about bikes.

3. Re: Stockholm City Bikes question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 04, 2014