We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Hi

I understand that some European countries, Sweden among them, have a different type of credit card system. Something about needing a PIN, and that just swiping a credit card won't work. I just have a regular credit card without all that other stuff set up. Will I be able to use my credit card for purchases while in Sweden ?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

if your going to use the chip, your going to need the pin!

Virginia
Level Contributor
344 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

I just returned from Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, and I did have some trouble with my American credit card(s). I brought my regular Visa credit card and my Visa debit card that has a pin. Neither has a chip (I don't think any American cards do at this point). In stores and restaurants, I could use my credit card and just tell the person I needed to sign. However, I had problems in two places.

In every single train/subway station, I had to use my debit card because the machines did not give the option of signing and required a pin. My friend who was traveling with me only had credit cards (not debit cards), so I had to buy her tickets with my debit card.

I also had a problem at a small grocery store in Copenhagen where the cashier either didn't know how to accept a signature instead of pin or their system was truly unable to.

DEFINITELY either make sure you have cash or bring a debit card that has a pin number because you may encounter situations where you don't have the signature option.

Just FYI, most of the machines or ATMs accept the European cards with chips by sticking the card into the top of the machine, while you can slide your non-chip cards on the side of the machine.

13. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 29, 2014