We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Hi

I understand that some European countries, Sweden among them, have a different type of credit card system. Something about needing a PIN, and that just swiping a credit card won't work. I just have a regular credit card without all that other stuff set up. Will I be able to use my credit card for purchases while in Sweden ?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Do your credit card have a chip on it?

The stores are required by the credit card companies to only allow chip & pin if a card has both chip and magnetic strip.

Many stores still accept credit cards with only magnetic strip, if you sign.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

There's no problem - you'll just have to sign if you don't have a chip!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
98 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

We just got back from Stockholm and you just have to tell the merchant when you go to pay that you don't have a PIN number and they'll have you sign instead. It wasn't a problem at all.

But If you want to go to a sporting or music event, Ticnet only accepts credit cards with chips. But you can get around this by having the tourist office get the tickets and paying them instead.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

I found out that my credit card does have a chip on it, so I assume I will have no problems.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
98 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

From what somebody in Stockholm told me, it's a chip that's only recognized in either just Sweden or any Scandinavian countries. I can't remember. But either way, you'll be fine. We used our US VISA, chip-free card for almost everything in Sweden.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
699 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

We have credit cards with a magnetic strip, but no chip. We have used them in Sweden. A good rule of thumb is that if you want to use the card where there is a cashier, you will have no problem. You give them the card and say "no Pin" and they will have you sign. If there is no attendant or cashier and you need to have a chip and pin. The biggest problem for me in Sweden is parking ramps and ticket kiosks for the T-Bana. I find this be true throughout Europe. It is hard to buy tickets for the Metro in Paris or use the credit card lane for toll roads. Enjoy

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

I do not think its a Scandanavian only system - last time we visited I used my UK Chip and PIN card as a chip/pin just as if I was back home in the UK.

Assuming its the same system and rules as the UK (dangerous, I know) - then if its attended then they can (and according to visa should) trigger the 'no pin' protocol for those cards issued in countries which do not yet use the system. Automated units is a different matter.....no idea on that one

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

No, it's not a Scandinavian thing. I have used my chip & pin all over Europe. It's the same.

One thing that is a bit peculiar however is that some shops in Norway only accept cards issued by a Norwegian bank. Don't know why it is like that. (Most shops do however accept visa cards from other countries as well)

Bristol,Ct
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Could an SL card be purchased at a major ticket counter like the airport with a non-chip regular magnetic strip card. (and then sign for it) ?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
98 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems using U.S. credit cards ?

Yes it can. We bought ours at the airport.