We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket to Skinnskatteberg

Indiana
Level Contributor
171 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Train ticket to Skinnskatteberg

I will be traveling by public transportation from Stockholm Central Station to Skinnskatteberg, and then back to Stockholm a few days later. Will I be able to easily buy a ticket at the station on the day of my travel, or is it best to buy in advance? I would buy in advance, but I'm not completely sure of my return time from Skinnskatteberg. Or, if I bought a ticket in advance from Stockholm to Skinnskatteberg, would I be able to easily buy a ticket at the Skinnskatteberg station on the day I return? Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm Central Station
Stockholm Central Station
198 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket to Skinnskatteberg

Never been in Skinnskatteberg, but it's usually easy to buy a ticket at any station. Most stations have a machine where you can either print a ticket that you already have paid for, or where you can buy a ticket using e.g a Visa card.

It's also possible to buy "open" tickets, meaning that you can take any train back on the day that the ticket is valid for. Don't know how you do that through the website though.

The tickets are usually cheaper if you buy about 90 days prior to traveling date.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
653 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket to Skinnskatteberg

There should not be any problem to get a ticket on the same day, even though it would cost more. Also, there are several different communications from Skinnskatteberg to Stockholm, changing, for instance: Köping, Hallsberg or Avesta Krylbo, thus if one connection is full, you could go for the next one.

Some of these connections are by bus, VL (Västmanlands Länstrafik) the first part.

But, Skinnskatteberg is small, and I'm not sure that the Bus/railway station has a ticket office or even a ticket vending machine. I haven't been able to find one on the SJ website, where all the SJ ticket vending machines and ticket offices are listed.

If you post on the Västmanland or Skinnskatteberg forum, maybe someone might be able to answer that from local knowledge. or maybe even on the Train forum;-)

Tickets can also be bought at Pressbyrån (news agent chain) or Seven Eleven (grocery store chain). But I'm not sure that there is either of them in Skinnskatteberg.

Or if you book online, you can print the ticket, or if you've got a Swedish mobile phone, you can have the ticket as SMS ticket.

You can no longer buy tickets on board the train.

---

All this info is available at:

www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

www.sj.se/sj/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=238&l=en

but, it's not easy to find the info, nor is it completely up to date.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
653 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket to Skinnskatteberg

I was wrong!

You can actually still buy tickets on board the train, (the decision to stop doing that was reversed).

(I never buy tickets on board so I haven't been following that.)

But you can only buy tickets for the train you're on, not to connecting trains.

4. Re: Train ticket to Skinnskatteberg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 01, 2014