We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

Hello, we wanted to go to Frantzén but then we did the conversion and with wine pairings it is well over 1k USD... hard one to swallow, no pun intended, I then found Esperanto which apparently beat out Frantzén for best restaurant in Stockholm for 2013, has anyone tried both, how do they compare. Are there any other similar restaurants we should also look at. We want an amazing meal our last day in the country.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

I haven't tried any of them, but I have tried Mathias Dahlgren Matsalen and Fredsgatan 12. They have also been given stars by Guide Michelin. Both are very good. You need to book a long time in advance.

Alcohol is unfortunately always expensive in Sweden, regardless of restaurant. The price for food and wine is usually around 2500 kr / person in the top restaurants. You can get it cheaper if you don't take the full tasting menu or if you don't take the wine package, but only order e.g. 2 glasses of wine per person.

http://f12.se/en/

www.mathiasdahlgren.com/index.php?lang=En

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

Can't compare them really but Esperanto has great food. Swedish inspired by Japanese. One of my best dining (and wine pairing) experiences ever.

You can also have hald a wine package as it's quite generous servings.

Florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

Yes the wine is almost as much as the meal... wine is expensive in USA also but not to the extent as an entire tasting menu. I guess we can order a bottle for the whole meal instead of doing the pairings.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

Many of the restaurants also have half wine packages, you get the same wines, but just less of it. Half a package is usually enough.

.. Hm, or was it that you get the same amount but not a new wine for each dish. Can't recall exactly.

5. Re: Restaurants: Frantzén vs Esperanto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 29, 2014