We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

Hi everyone

I plan to visit Stockholm from London in December/January 2013-14 (not sure of a specific date yet). I want to stay just a couple of days and at the top of the list is the ABBA Museum. I'll be with my two teenage sons aged 13 and 17.

Can anyone recommend a hotel district accessible to Djurgarden Island - my budget is around 150-200 euros per night

Also - will the Grona Lund amusement park be open in winter? I can't seem to find out any information about this - I think my sons will love it if it is open.

I would love to visit the National Museum and Royal Palace as well.

Any suggestions for other sights in Stockholm are welcome, as well as some ideas about clothing - we are Australian and don't own heavy coats or boots - I assume we will need these !

Thanks for your advice

Kathy

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

Gröna Lund is closed during winter. Djurgården has only two hotels, Hasselbacken, and Melody Hotel in the ABBA Museum. However, The area is easy to reach from central Stockholm, where you can find dozens of hotels at different price levels. The Vasa Museum is a must-see, as well as the Old Town itself.

The weather is most probably a few degrees below zero C. You should watch the weather report, and buy some winter gear in London before getting to Stockholm.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

If you can, go before Christmas as hotels are cheaper then.

Rival is owned by one of the Abba guys and always gets rave reviews here.

If proximity to Djurgården is important, check out Diplomat hotel, great location by the water.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

Thank you - some great advice here esp. about the visiting the historic centre and buying some coats in London.

My sons have never seen snow, so I hope there is some around when we visit.

If we're there for New Years' Eve, does Stockholm have special celebrations, like fireworks?

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

NYE in Stockholm is tens of thousands of not very sober Swedes shooting firework rockets all over the place. Bring a helmet and a fire extinguisher.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

@Kathy W, if you're looking for snow, there's usually a better chance in January or February than December. It's not uncommon with snow before and during christmas, but it could just as well be grey, +5°C and dark grey. And grey.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

ChristianB - haha! I was in Naples last NYE and it was the same deal - people pulling boxes of fireworks out of their car trunks, placing them in the middle of the street and throwing in a match. It was so much fun. Hemet and fire extinguisher duly packed!

Augustekman - it will most likely be January, so will hope for snow - I imagine Stockholm looks very pretty covered in white.

Thanks again for your help.

7. Re: Travelling in December/January - need advice on hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 18, 2014