We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Transport Question

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Transport Question

We will be arriving on Wednesday, 19 of June to ARN airport. We are staying at the Hilton Sluessen Hotel. We have used public transportation in the past, and it looks like we will do so in Stockholm. I see that there are two main bus transports, Flygbussarna (99 SEK) and Swebus (89 SEK). I realize that we'll have to transfer to the Metro once we arrive at the Cityterminalen (Both arrive there, right?) and take two stops to Sluessen and the Hilton. Which would be the preferred bus line to take? Which terminal do they leave from and how do I find them once we arrive? Should I buy online beforehand? (our flight tickets are already paid for, so we will, I hope, arrive on the 19th at 15:30 and depart on the 23rd of June at 13:10. Are there any other sage words of wisdom for us first timers to Stockholm about transferring from the airport to the Hilton? As always, thanks in advance for your help!

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Transport Question

Flygbussarna has more stops so I have always used them as I never go all the way to central station. For you, swebus is probably a bit quicker.

Both bus companies can be found right outside the terminal. I always buy the tickets from the kiosk inside the terminal.

Edited: 6:51 am, June 06, 2013
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Transport Question

Thanks! Can you by return tickets at the kiosk?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
500 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Transport Question

You could get off at the flygbussarna stop at St Eriksplan (one stop before central station). It's four more stops to Slussen on the green line but it's a shorter walk to the platform than navigating through the generally crowded central station during the rush hour. It makes no difference to any of the ticket costs. You can buy singles and returns for flygbussarna. It's just multiples of 99kr so there's no saving. You could buy online at www.flygbussarna.se and just show the six digit code to the bus driver.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Transport Question

That sounds good. What would I need to buy at St. Eriksplan to take the metro to Slussen? Are they coupons? I don't think we'll use the metro that much (we love to walk) so I probably won't buy a three day card unless you think it would be necessary.

Stockholm
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Transport Question

I think the easiest option for you is to buy a coupon from the ticket machine and pay with credit card. Easy instructions in English are provided on the screen. You will be travelling in zone A.

You'll find the ticket machine in the metro station.

Edited: 4:17 am, June 07, 2013
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,622 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Transport Question

Thanks!

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Transport Question

We would be staying at Sheraton Stockholm at Tegelbacken 6. Hotel website does not say where there is a metro stop nearby.

Could some locals chime in as to how to use the Bus from ARN to Sheraton (understand we would need to take the metro or may even be a taxi once in the City)?

Really prefer to use the Bus because even with the 2-4-1 on weekends the train is still almost twice as what bus would cost.

Also the next day we would take the overnight ferry to Riga. Sheraton gave me this info

<<The ferry terminal to Riga is at Värtahamnen and thats a 15-20 min taxi ride and it should cost roughly 200 SEK.>>

Is this correct? I believe there are 2 ferry terminals and I am not sure they know for sure which one is for Riga.

Thanks a lot.

Edited: 3:28 pm, June 09, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Transport Question

@FLL, the Sheraton is within walking distance of Cityterminalen (where the airport busses terminates). It's a five minute walk.

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Transport Question

Thank you for the quick reply. I went to the bus company's website and found the map - indeed, the city terminal is within walking distance to the Sheraton which is at the SE side from the terminal.

Do you know how to get from Sheraton to the Tallink's ferry terminal to Riga?

I search this forum but the info is confusing - one 2011 thread said you could take the subway.

Stockholm
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Transport Question

I think the best way is either to take a taxi (from one of the major companies) to Frihamnen where the terminal is, or to take the 5 min walk back to Kungsgatan where you can take bus number 1 directly to Frihamnen. Taxi should be about 200-250 SEK I think.

There are also other alternatives, check here to find what suits you best: http://sl.se/en/Visitor/Plan-your-journey/

Edited: 5:33 am, June 10, 2013