We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

Space
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

Hi my family of 4 adults will be in Sweden from the 24-30 may 2013 and I have the following draft itinerary in mind. Appreciate any feedback.

24 may: arrive in Stockholm

25 may: day-trip to Gavle

26 may: day-trip to Uppsala

27 may: day-trip to Gota Canal (any suggestions for a boat trip?)

28 may: day in Stockholm

29 may: fly to Visby

30 may: cruise back from Visby to Stockholm (with a bus transit) and fly out from Stockholm

Any comments on the above itinerary and any suggestions of other should visit places around Stockholm would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

Hi! It sounds a bit hectic to go to four places in just a week, even if you go by plane. I would skip either Gävle or Göta kanal.

There's plenty to see and do in Stockholm and the archipelago, but maybe you've been here many times already? Then I suggest spending more time in Visby and the rest of Gotland.

Or skipping Stockholm altogether and explore another area instead, such as Gothenburg and the west coast.

As for other places around Stockholm: Norrtälje, Waxholm, and Mariefred are quite nice. When the weather is good :)

Linkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

Skip Gävle (unless you have relatives there or another special reason for going there) it is boring as hell. (Trust med, I'm from there.) Also, Göta kanal is not really worth it. The greatness of Göta kanal is only felt if you really travel through the country on the canal. Just doing a day trip, meaning that you will see a canal lock in a forest is not worth it. As you have already planned many day trips I would advise you to skip Gävle and Göta kanal and stay in Stockholm. The city has a lot to offer. There are many day trips (or half-day trips) in the vicinity of Stockholm: the archipelago, Drottningholm palace, Vaxholm et cetera.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

Change Gävle for a day in the archipelago (im from Gävle too)

And a shorter spin up towards Norrtälje Grisslehamn and Öregrund is better then Göta kanal.

If you insist on the canal go to Söderköping. Cute town with the canal as main attraction!

Space
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

Thanks for the various suggestions. I will reconsider Gavle and Gota canal. One question, what about Visby? it is worth the flight and overnight?

5. Re: 7 days itinerary in and around Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 13, 2014