We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

Is Stockholm in 4-5 days for a holiday during the winter months plausible? I am contemplating flying from Manchester for a winter holiday to a cosmopolitan Scandinavian city, possibly similar to Manchester in terms of things to do and leisure tourism.

For example, in Manchester I can walk around with no car necessary, and there is a plethora of shopping possibilities and historical landmarks, as well as many restaurants that are of a medium budget. Would this be similar in Stockholm? Also are direct flights plentiful between Manchester and Stockholm?

Edited: 11:28 am, October 20, 2012
London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

Norwegian and SAS fly Manchester - Stockholm.

Stockholm is a great place to visit, both in terms of shopping and sightseeing!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

Thanks for responding. I used to live in Newcastle but now live in Manchester. Is Stockholm similar in size and activities like these places?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
737 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

Stockholm is about 1 million people and I am sure you will find much fun things to do.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

I have never been to Manchester nor Newcastle but I would be very surprised if you found Stockholm less interesting than those two cities.

Stockholm has loads of history and museums and pretty good shopping. Check out the "Things to do" section for a taste of the city.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

If I chose to visit Stockholm, even in winter, then for 4-5 days I would be having to decide what to drop out of my list, not what to do.

The core area of the city from the Old Town to Djurgarden can be walked in around 30-45minutes lengthwise west to east, and the north south core is probably the same size. Goolemaps is seriously your friend here....go check the aerial photomap out for size ideas.

THere are a number of other things further out e.g. Kaknastornet, some museums etc. The city has everthing from the old monuments, through well designed museums of things old and new, to modern nightlife. In some respects its a compact London with much nicer attitude, easier to get around and everything you could want from from history to modern development. Having said that I cannot stress enough just how much I prefer Stockholm to Londno having lived in both and visited both as a tourist in my time - I was more trying to describe the activity range available with that analogy.

Trawl www.visitstockholm.com for ideas. Winter just makes it a bit colder to prepare for rather than shutting the city down (not that I'd wander the Botanic Gardens, but the weather wouldnt keep me out of Skansen in the winter)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

I have noticed that according to accuweather.com/es/…

there is some now in November already. Would this winter be a good time to visit, particularly before March begins?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

Stockholm is appx 1,000,000 within the city borders and another million counting the Stockholm Metropolitan area.

Just as a theoretical experiment you can probably walk the inner city South to North (or the opposite of course :-D) within two hours.

Concentrated shopping in the city centre can be found inside the "borders" of Klarabergsgatan/Hamngatan-Östermalmstorg-Vasagatan-Kungsgatan which is where you'll find shopping alternatives such as NK, Åhlens, Gallerian, Mood, Sturegallerian, Biblioteksgatan and the center/upper Drottninggatan.

On Södermalm it's a bit more scattered but along Götgatan you'll ind some alternatives and around the Skånegatan area some more bohemic/alternative stores.

Stockholm is a bit of a protected area (for good and bad) which means not many buildings have been built after the turn of LAST century (18-1900). Exceptions: City Center and some areas on Södermalm.

´"Forgotten" areas are Vasastan/Birkastan and Kungsholmen that have ¨many good restaurants and bars but few good hotels in the vincity. In others words you'll find more locals.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

I would buy an SL access card if I came to Stockholm as a tourist. There's one that is valid for 72 hours, and it's valid on the buses and the subway. The 72 hour card cost about 27 EUR. You can otherwise get a re-loadable access card where you pay per trip.

Regarding when to get here. What are you looking for? November and December is usually warmer than March, but it's not always that we have snow during those months (if Snow is what you want to experience).

9. Re: Manchester to Stockholm 4-5 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 15, 2013