We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

We will only be in Stockholm for 3 nights this weekend and are looking for a good restaurant to eat the famous swedish meatballs, I have checked out the restaurant reviews here and Operakallarens bakficka gets good reviews but it seems you can't reserve and it's a bar style dining place which I'm not sure we'd like and we're not very patient when it comes to waiting in queues so is there any other nice restaurant that anyone can recommend. I have already booked a table at Fem Sma Hus for our dinner on Saturday which I'm really looking forward to.

stockholm,sweden
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

The köttbullar at Tranan ,Karlbergsvägen 14, metro Odenplan are supposed to be so classic, they are not even on the menue,because they took focus from the other dishes.

Other köttbulleplaces are Pelikan, Blekingegatan 40, metro Skanstull. A beerhall where you are reminded that köttbullar are worker's food.

Tennstopet, Dalagatan 50, metro Odenplan. Fat and traditional food.

Kjellsons, Birger Jarlsgatan 36, metro Östermalmstorg. Homy ambiance.

Prinsen, Mäster Samuelsgatan 4, metro Östermalmstorg. classic restaurant in central location, beautiful interiour. close to Norrmalmstorg.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
2. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

Thanks, I will check them out.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

Ikea! ;-)

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

Whatever but not IKEA. Unless you are a fan of jokes. ;)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
959 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

Pelikan is good and a really cool place. I also liked the restaurant at Tekniska T-bana, which is very old school and somewhat less expensive. It doesn't look like much, but it's actually good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

I tried at Tranan, they don't even have them on the menu, because it's so good that the waiter told me that if they put it on the menu, they wouldn't sell anything else! :)

Ludvika, Sweden
Level Contributor
118 posts
7. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

I would recommend foreign visitors wanting to taste something genuinely swedish to try not only meatballs but also "isterband" (a lightly smoked, slightly sour sausage made of pork, barley and potatoes). In my opinion that is by far the best part of traditional swedish cuisine.

In general you will find the best "isterband" in Småland in the southeast, but I guess you can find decent ones in Stockholm as well.

Actually, you can buy "isterband" in any grocery store if you have access to a kitchen (the ones from Lammhult are really good), but you have to fry them very carefully.

8. Re: Which restaurant serves the best Swedish Meatballs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 30, 2013