We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
196 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

We will spend four days in Stockholm

We are planning on visiting the following attractions.

Since we are seniors we will be able to take advantage of some of the Senior discounts.

I am thinking we may be better off buying the SL Pass for transportation and paying the admission price directly to the attractions we are planning on visiting .

Here is a list:

Drottingholm Palace, Chinese Pavillion and Palace Theater

Skansen Park, Vasa Museum

City Hall Tour

Nobel Prize Museum

Would appreciate comments.

55 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

Others may have a different opinion but I think you have to work hard to get value from the Tourist Card. If you are planning to use the excellent public transport more than a few times then the SL pass is worthwhile. 20 SEK for the reusable card plus the relevant fee for the period you need the card. As long as you qualify for a discounted ticket these are 70 SEK for 24 hours or 140 for 72 hours

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

I have to disagree with Tony. Even with senior discounts taken into account, the 72 hour Stockholm Card is value for money for any ambitious tourist.

The 72 hour Stockholm card is 750 so if you buy the 140 SEK public transport card instead, you would have 610 SEK left to cover tickets for the attractions you mention.

Drottningholm theatre is 90.

Skansen 80.

Drottningholm including Chinese Pavilion 140

Vasa 110

City Hall 70

Nobel 80

Total sum 570. So with the Stockholm card, any additional museum visit would not cost you anything whereas you would only save 40 SEK not getting it.

Off topic, I would recommend replacing the Nobel museum with Hallwylska museet. You should also consider the treasury as it is next to the Royal Castle anyway.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

We spent four days in Stockholm last June, visiting all the places you mention in your post plus some others, including the fabulous HIstoriska Museet. We found the three-day Stockholm Card definitely saved us money. (But we did not buy one in Copenhagen for our three-day stay there; that one would have been a waste of money.)

New York
Level Contributor
849 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

I am not a senior, but I used the Copenhagen 72 hour card and it was well worth it, and I didnt even use a ton of the subway...only a handful of times did I, but I did use the trains to Hillerod and Elsingor and back. It was worth it, but like others said, price out what you want to do and factor it in...also, keep in mind, this pass allows you to not have to worry about cash/CC use at the establishments as well as worry about buying tickets or knowing if you are buying the right zone amounts.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

I have always just used the SL card myself. Both times recently where we used the Tbana a lot to get to places we did the maths and could not justify the Stockholm card - the main issue being the 72hour limit on it and we were buying a 7 day SL card, which does skew it - though again the introduction of the 5 day Stockholm card did make me go and reevaluate things and it was again closer (the longer you stay the more viable the Stockholm card becomes IMO).

It depends what you plan to visit and how much they cost and if they are on the card.

For example - or the list above from ChristianB, which is a decent list of places to go to, I would not be able, or to be fairer would not want to rush enough, to fit that much in in 72hrs - Skansen would be one day, Drottningholm another, and the third Vasa would fill a lot of third with the rest of a 72hour trip being spent at Gamla Stan wandering for free. So on top of the 40SEK saving listed I would cut back on Nobel, City Hall and probably the theatre as well without actually ending up with vast tracts of time left over meaning a saving of 230SEK - assume I really fill time out I'd add the National Historical Museum at 80SEK, so still staring at 150SEK saved.

So it really depends massively on your itinerary for financial benefits- you want to do a number of the high cost items and the Stockholm card becomes more useful and starts to save money. If you will end up wandering in free places - or go to places that fill entire days for relatively low cost and it becomes less of a financia lbenefit.

I mapped out my preferences on previous trips and will do so in the future for any visit to compare the SL card and Stockholm cards. Thus far, it hasn't been an issue - SL card wins each time for my choices - although I must stress again thats usually because of my longer stay than the 4 days you have and I will always look as the Stockholm card has improved over the last decade or so.

To be honest, I think trying to think of these cards in terms of discounts and money saved is really not fair on them, as you tend to end up chasing the raw cash value on the card. The Stockholm card wins and operates on convenience - the accessibility it offers allows for easy simple access to most major locations in the city. You can wander and do what you want without having to decide too much in advance. It is easy to get and easy to use and thats its primary strength - if you let it be a tool to get you into where you decide to go then its fairly useful - if you let it grip you and take you places at a rapid rate just to save money then you are better off without it IMO.

Fairbanks, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

I am also planning to go to Stockholm here in a few days. I will be there a week, staying in a couple different hotels around the palace area. I am undecided between the 5 day Stockholm Card or the 7 day SL transportation pass. I see the 5 day Stockholm Card is 900 SEK, but I can't seem to find the price for a 7 day SL pass? Looks like I have to wait and buy that when I get to a station?

I am also needing to go from Arlanda Airport into the City Centre, sounds like the fast train is the way to go...?

I will be getting a free palace tour, and I will be busy some of the days doing work/activities, so I won't have EVERYDAY to visit museums, etc. Listening to everyone else, it seems like I need to check out the Hallwylska museet.

NEW QUESTION:

I have to catch a 6am flight out of Arlanda Airport and I will be staying in Old Town, near the palace, that night before. Looking at all the time tables for trains, etc. it looks like I can't make it to the airport by 4am, the earliest is like 4:45am and that's cutting it too close for an international flight. Would a cab/taxi be the best bet? I know they're expensive, but I may have to eat this cost for the gaurentee that I can leave and arrive to the airport on my own schedule?

Thanks for discussion everyone!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

I'm getting off cruiseshipat Frihamnen. Where can I buy a 24-hr. travel card so I can use it on the bus leaving the port?

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

I am getting off cruiseship at Frihamnen cruise port. Does anyone know where I can buy a 24-hr. travel pass around the port so I can use it on a bus into town?

United States
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

Cruise Ship docking at Frihamnen from 8 am until 5 pm. Trying to decide whether to purchase the one day Stockholm Card. Their website is not clear on whether it covers the hop on hop off boat. I believe that the website may be referring to only the the Historical Canal Tour or the Royal Canal Tour, but it doesn't say. It says "boat sightseeing.". Can anyone provide specifics about what boat tours the Stockholm Card website is referring to?. I sent them an e mail a few days ago;no reply yet.

A combo Hop on/hop off bus/boat pass is $46.50. Our priority in this short time is to visit and tour City Hall, visit the Vasa Museum, see the Royal Castle from the outside and changing of the guard, wander around Gamla Stan.

2013 prices for admissions are:$22 for city hall tour and tower, $20 for Vasa museum for seniors. (Don't know if that includes non citizen seniors) The total is $88 per senior adult. The Stockholm Card is currently $76 (495 SEK at 6.5 =$1 today).

Does anyone have any information to clarity this or suggestions?

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass

The hop-on-hop-off is not included but the two Royal Canal tour and the Historic Canal tour on this webpage are:

stromma.se/en/…

The Royal canal tour departs from Grand Hotel and the Historic canal tour from City Hall.

Edited: 7:49 pm, May 09, 2013
Reply to: Stockholm Card vs SL Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted