We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

Toronto Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

We are 2 senior couples planning to travel from St. Petersburg by train to Helsinki for 2 nights, then on to Tallinn by ferry, for at least 1 night. We were then thinking of taking the overnight ferry to Stockholm, but I am concerned about references to these cruises being "booze cruises". We would like to have two quiet cabins, and hope to get a good nights sleep so we can enjoy ourselves in Stockholm when we arrive. What are these cruises like in September, during the week? And also, if someone could suggest which category of room would be best for us. Thanks for your help in advance!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

We took the overnight ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm mid-week in July and had the best sleep on our 2 week trip!. We were travelling with 2 kids in the upper bunks and had an outside cabin (highly recommend you pay extra for an outside cabin).

We had a good dinner at the smorgasbord and breakfast buffet. Yes, there were partiers on the ship, but we didn't hear any noise. I suspect September would be quieter than July as well.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I would recommend spending 2 nights in Tallinn rather than Helsinki. We spent 3 nights in Tallinn and enjoyed walking around the old town in Tallinn. Helsinki is a nice clean city, but more to do in Tallinn.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

Hi

The Tallink ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm is lovely. We've travelled on all of them, at least twice a year for the past seven years, and never yet been bothered by noise.

I would recomend though that you decrease your stay in Helsinki and stay longer in Tallinn. It is a much more interesting city with far more to do and see. Helsinki is okay but not a patch on Tallinn.

Up until now we have always booked 'Delux' cabins but when we make the trip again next February we are downgrading to 'A Premium'. You still get the double bed and the window but no sofa, bowl of fruit and bottle of Cava but it is about one third of the cost.

The beds have always been comfortable and there is something about sailing through the night with the slight hum of the engines which ensures we have a marvellous night's sleep.

Jackie

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

Thanks you so much for valuable information

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
920 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

In my opinion the Old Town in Tallinn is seen quite quickly. And that's almost the only thing Tallinn has to offer. Of course in the summer time if you got couple of sunny days you can enjoy Old town's many terracces with beer for example and spend there days.

My best sight in Tallinn was St Olav Church Tower: nice scenes. Then the City Hall with Tower is famous. On castle wall you can walk. The old monastery presented in sight listings we didn't find although we used time for searching. The sea is near but hardly seen after the arrival. I wish it would be more utilised. I liked Estonia Memorial's shape.

But of course it depends on everybody's likings...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

I am very surprised that previous posters recommend more time in Tallinn than Helsinki. In Helsinki, one can spend a full day just visiting the Suomenlinna Fortress island or the Suerasaari open-air folk museum, let alone the art museums, Esplanade, boat cruises, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

There's a lot more to Tallinn than the Old Town! Most locals spend most of their time outside it, in fact.

7. Re: Ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, July 06, 2011