We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distances in stockholm

Mexico
7 posts
Save Topic
distances in stockholm

Dear people

a girl friend and I are planning to stay in the Vanadis Hotel on Jan 2006 for five days, I was wondering if the train or bus are available at any hour, since I was watching the rates of the taxi cabs and those are very expensive, I plan to visit someone in sodermalm(but not so sure if this person still lives there) so I wish I could have a clue of how to use the train or the buses in order to look for this address,

(also, how far away is sodermalm from the city of stockholm??)

thank you

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: distances in stockholm

Hi Santisima,

Your hotel is in a good location and I see no reason why you should need to use the (expensive, as you say) taxi cabs.

The public transport is efficient and easy to use; just get yourself an underground map and familiarise yourself with the routes before you arrive:

www.sl.se

Your nearest underground station is Odenplan. This is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.

Sodermalm is basically just outside the city centre; it's 20 minutes walk from the central station. However, it is a big area so without knowing which part of Soder you wish to visit it is hard to know what directions to give. However, bus No 55 goes from Norrtull (5 minutes from your hotel) direct to many parts of Sodermalm. Ask at the hotel for directions to the bus stop.

The regular buses and underground run until about 00.45 hours; after that there are night buses. The underground runs until 3.30am on Friday and Saturday nights. Both are reliable and very safe.

Buy yourself a "rabattkupong" or "remsa" when you arrive. This costs about 145 krona and will give you 10 trips in the central area by bus or underground. Each time you get it stamped it is valid for as many journeys as you like within an hour (or a little bit more).

You do not need to use taxis in Stockholm. The only people I know of who ever use taxis is when they need to get somewhere with heavy luggage or possibly as a luxury very late at night. Apart from businesspeople, no-one uses taxis just to go around town. By the way, if you do use them, make sure you use the official taxis, such as Taxi Stockholm, and not illegal taxis, which will rip you off.