We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

Orlando
11 posts
Save Topic
Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

I'm living in Stockholm for the next 3 months and I have some girlfriends coming into town at the end of the month. We are thinking about taking the ferry to Helsinki and hear that some are more like party boats. We're 20-somethings and wouldn't mind doing something like that. Which do you recommend? Also, I have been known to get sea-sick on occasion, how do you think the seas will be at the end of May? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
london
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

You can choose between Viking Line and Silja Line.

Viking Line is more of a party boat at the weekends but during the week its more quiet.

Silja Line is a bit more expensive and more upmarket.

http://www.vikingline.fi/index.asp?lang=en

http://www.tallinksilja.com/

The sea should be fine! The boats are so big so you hardly feel anything!!!

If the weather is nice, the trip trough the archipelago will be magical.

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Viking Line Day Tours
Viking Line Day Tours
144 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

Fritte's answer is great. However, both the Silja and the Viking ferries have an age limit of 23 years on Fridays and Saturdays, and they are quite strict about that. So if any of you are under 23 you skould consider going on a weekday (in the summer there's no difference anyway, it's party every night).

In case you just want to party and not visit Helsinki there's also the Birka Paradise ferry which goes to Mariehamn (Åland) and back. This trip lasts 22 hours, leaving Stockholm at 6pm every day and returning at 4pm the next. This boat is designated for leisure travel only and doesn't carry any cars. Unless you want to visit Helsinki I recommend Birka as I think it is more fun and also attracts a younger audience.

Have fun!

Heléne

ps. Don't miss the Smörgåsbord on the boat. It's "eat and drink as much as you like" and a real bargain!

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Birka Hostel
Birka Hostel
288 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Orlando
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

Thanks for the information. I'm looking at the Silja website and I'm working through an online reservation to see how much it would cost. I put in 4 passengers and then chose the cheapest cabin that had 4 beds. The price says 165 euro. Is that per person or for all of us to use the one cabin? I will call if no one knows the answer, but that just seems cheap to me and I thought maybe someone might know.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

What day have you put in and have you included any meals? The price should be for the whole cabin including the four of you if I'm not mistaken. Often the trip itself is really cheap and the company expects you to eat and shop onboard and spend money that way.

Orlando
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

No, I had not entered meals yet, but I knew that would be extra. Great! Airfare had gotten really expensive so this is definitely a cheaper alternative. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Orlando
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

Also, if anyone is wondering. The minimum age for the Silja line is only 21 now. I'm not sure if its changed, but I just called to double-check and even asked about Fridays specifically. The Viking line website also says 21, but I did not call them because we are going with Silja.

7. Re: Stockholm to Helsinki ferry...party boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, November 04, 2009