We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki - Stockholm and back, in winter.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Helsinki - Stockholm and back, in winter.

Good morning all,

we are planning our winter holidays now and we have decided to go again to Finland for Christmas- New Year but this time make it a city trip.

We would love to spent some time in Stockholm, and we thought to take the ferry on the 01.01.2009 and return on the 04.01.2009 back to Helsinki in order to catch our flight on the 06.01.

My first (probably stupid) question is: does anyone know if the boats run every day inspite of weather? I mean does the baltic normally freeze at that time of the year or is the weather normally so bad as to prevent sail? (we are of course only worried about the return trip, since we have to catch our morning flight on the 06.01.)

My second is if you know the two hotels: Crystal Plaza and Hotel Tegnerlunden. They both have good reviews in TA and very good offers at the time we want to go, I was wondering if they are near the museums and stuff?

Thank you very much for any information you could give me

tak

Finland
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki - Stockholm and back, in winter.

Hi, here's something for the first question:

Yep, the boats run despite the weather also in winter. I don't recall any occations, when the weather would have been so bad that the ships between Finland and Stockholm would have been canceled. Also, ice is not a problem - you should be good to go :)

There are two cruise lines running between Helsinki and Stockholm: Silja Line and Viking Line. Silja could probably be described a little more upscale than Viking Line, which is a good option for the budget travelers. Also, Viking may attract a little more younger people, who may be more eager to party harder..

I thing the only bottle neck may be availability. If you make your reservations now, you should have different options to choose from.

Check out www.vikingline.fi and www.tallinksilja.fi

Viele Gruesse,

joni.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki - Stockholm and back, in winter.

Thank you very much Joni, I will certainly look at the Silja lines then. My party days are long over.

Grüsse aus dem sonnigen Basel

Tak

3. Re: Helsinki - Stockholm and back, in winter.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 01, 2009