We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I spending a 3 days in Stockholm then 3 in Copenhagen and are looking at ways o travel between the two. Despite the time it takes, we thought we would take the train rather than plane, in order to see more of the surrounding areas.

Obviously when researching I have read about the x2000, but, looking at the booking site there is also the option to get a train where you have to change once. However I'm confused because I thought the x2000 was a 'fast rain' but it is very slightly faster to get a train that involves a change. Why is this? The times are slightly more convenient on the other train than the x2000 but is the change a hassle?

Also, we were thinking of treating ourselves to first class since its such a long way. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class, and is it better and more 'luxurious' on the x2000 or the other train?

Thanks for your help.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
507 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

I can't actually answer the question but just wanted to quickly raise one issue that might influence your decision. Some people (me and my partner included) tend to feel travel sick on the X2000.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

Hi

X2000 was introduced in 1990 and back then it was a lot faster then other trains. But the differences are not so big anymore as normal trains gets faster.

X2000 has tilting carriages wich makes it possible to keep high speeds on curvier tracks, thats why some people get motion sickness on X2000.

I would not spend the extra money on first class on an X2000 but maybe on another train, yes its a little bit more comfy in X2

Wich times are you looking at, and where is the change?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
308 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

The route main route for the X2000 is Malmö-Stockholm. Some trains, however, begin their journey in Copenhagen. If you don't choose one of them you will have to take the Copenhagen-Malmö train first and change in Malmö (hence the change in your search query).

As Anders wrote, there's not such a big difference between 1st and 2nd clas on the X2000.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

Hi,

With the choice between plane and train, I would advise you to think about that one more time. Mainly because it's a long trip and the train, although it has it's beautiful moments of scenery, most of the time passes through forrests or crossing fields.

But if you still would like to by train, do consider the upgrade/downgrade (read final section for explanation) to first class. For me, a tall guy 1,92m, the second class seats are just to small and spending five hours with your knees touching your chin just makes you wish for the trip to end. You get free drinks (water, juice, coffee, tea), fruits and sometimes cakes. Also you get a free choice of swedish newspapers....

If you're unlucky (but you can give your preferences for where to sit in the car) you could be seated two seats away from the window In first class you'll always have a nice view out of the window whereevere you're seated. Finally it's much less noice in first class, just in case you'll feel like the farmland outside your window does look very much like the farmland you just passed, which makes it much easier to sleep.

And, if you have a wireless computer with you, it's free to use tha internet in first class.

Don't get me wrong because I travel a lot with SJ, but always in first class, and this might sound strange to you but the main reason is that it's cheaper or close to the same price as in second class.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

Thanks for all your advice, you really made us reconsider our options.

I think, without realising it, I had romanticised orient-express style visions of racing through spectacular landscape in luxurious first class surroundings. Should have known better! Its not like the views from the train tracks of Britian are usually a good representation of the landscape so I don't know why I expected this to be any different!

So...we've decicided to fly after all and spend the extra time sight seeing in the cities. I figure if we take a boat trip in Stockholm we'll get to see better scenery anyway.

Thanks again!

6. Re: x2000 or other train? What's the difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 29, 2009