We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm - Expensive?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Stockholm - Expensive?

In early August, I'm off travelling around the Baltics and Scandinavia, I understand Its going to be a bit pricey, and I'm looking for any advice on where I might be able to get by without spending huge amounts?

Im set to fly From Liverpool - Riga - Helsinki - Tallinn - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Oslo - Liverpool.

I hear that Riga and Tallinn are'nt as cheap as they once were due to the commercialization of the places now, with all the Brits flying over for there stag doo's and causing havoc, that's not my intentions for travelling!

I'm not overly concerned about the prices of Riga and Tallinn, but it's the cities of Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo, that most concern me.

In october last year I travelled around Europe to a number of places and went to rather expensive places such as Rome and Paris. During my travels I spent most nights in either hostels or budget hotels, based my living on cheap food in the day and a meal at night. around £50 per day for food and items to buy was the amount I budgeted for.

I've already booked my Hotels/Hostels for my trip, just having to budget now for my days.

What I'm looking for is any advice on what type of food I should be looking for during the day and any places which people can recommend that can get me by on around £50 per day In those 4 cities? I don't really mind eating Mcdonalds or any other fast food during the days, as most of the time is taken up by walking and exploring the cities, so a quick bite to eat is perfect for my kind of stay, but a night I would like a sit down meal.

My cousin has spoke to me about when he went to Brann recently and cost him and 2 friends £32 for 3 sandwiches?! I realised these countries are expensive but that's just extortionate!

I'm going to copy this post into other cities forums to see if I can get any help from people in those forums.

Thanks.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Hey Adobe,

Im from the states and just returned from stockholm. The prices arent that bad, and you can definitely get by on 50quid a day, no problem and you dont have to eat mcdonalds.. Plus Max is much better!

Lots of little shops to get sandwiches and grocery stores to buy prepared food. Just stay away from the bars as the liquor is crazy expensive!

enjoy!

Bronx, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

We found reasonably priced places to eat and drink in the "SoFo" area on the island south of Gamla Stan in Stockholm. There are many to choose from and it is a really fun area.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Hi Smdnyc, do you mean Soldermalm when you side 'Sofo'?

Colettei, any recommendations for affordable restaurants....

Bronx, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

SoFa is an area within Sodermalm, please refer to this link (from Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoFo

It is a really fun place to walk around, lots of sidewalk cafes. Lonely Planet Stockholm has a section on it too with restaurants recommended but I say , just walk around, you'll fine something you like

Bronx, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

I just also found this website for Sofo which seems helpful and includes a map.

http://www.sofo.se/englishinfo.aspx

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
632 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Hi Smdnyc, thanks for the clarification; will definitely have a walk-around the area.

17. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 30, 2009