We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm - Expensive?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Stockholm - Expensive?

In early August, I'm off travelling around the Baltics and Scandinavia, I understand Its going to be a bit pricey, and I'm looking for any advice on where I might be able to get by without spending huge amounts?

Im set to fly From Liverpool - Riga - Helsinki - Tallinn - Stockholm - Copenhagen - Oslo - Liverpool.

I hear that Riga and Tallinn are'nt as cheap as they once were due to the commercialization of the places now, with all the Brits flying over for there stag doo's and causing havoc, that's not my intentions for travelling!

I'm not overly concerned about the prices of Riga and Tallinn, but it's the cities of Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo, that most concern me.

In october last year I travelled around Europe to a number of places and went to rather expensive places such as Rome and Paris. During my travels I spent most nights in either hostels or budget hotels, based my living on cheap food in the day and a meal at night. around £50 per day for food and items to buy was the amount I budgeted for.

I've already booked my Hotels/Hostels for my trip, just having to budget now for my days.

What I'm looking for is any advice on what type of food I should be looking for during the day and any places which people can recommend that can get me by on around £50 per day In those 4 cities? I don't really mind eating Mcdonalds or any other fast food during the days, as most of the time is taken up by walking and exploring the cities, so a quick bite to eat is perfect for my kind of stay, but a night I would like a sit down meal.

My cousin has spoke to me about when he went to Brann recently and cost him and 2 friends £32 for 3 sandwiches?! I realised these countries are expensive but that's just extortionate!

I'm going to copy this post into other cities forums to see if I can get any help from people in those forums.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
McDonalds
McDonalds
14 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Riga and Tallinn are still cheap cities despite having become popular tourist destinations.

Copenhagen, Helsinki and Stockholm are about on the same level. Beer, drinks and cigarettes are more expensive in Stockholm because of taxes. I live in London and I dont consider these cities as very expensive.

In Stockholm, you can get a very tasty pizza for 7 GBP, a tasty seafood soup for about 12 GBP and a menue at my favourite hamburger place (Max) is around 5 GBP. Public transport and taxis are slightly cheaper than in London.

At the far end of the scale is Oslo where things are at least 20-25% more expensive than in Stockholm or Copenhagen. If you want to give your wallet some relief, then keep your Oslo stay short.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

I did these countries on a cruise last year and boy where they expensive or what!! Helsinki had a lovely market on the day we went, in which you could buy a plate of food at a reasonable cost (can't remember what we paid).

Stockholm was expensive beyond belief. Absolutely hated it there (sorry). It was drizzle all day and grey and depressing. I wanted to purchase some souveniers but could not afford anything. We had a cup of coffee each and that was that.

Copenhagen was very pleasant. Plenty of shops to window shop because unfortunately that too was expensive. I think we had 2 coffees and a pancake to share (because we couldn't afford one each) and got virtually no change out of 20 euros. All the clothes shops were so dear that I'm surpirsed the Danes had clothes on their backs! Lol.

Tallin did have some bargains, if you looked for them. Plenty of pubs around. Think you will find this to be the cheapest place, but as you say things have gone up even in this country.

Enjoy it all the same.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Sweden
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Hey, I live here and yes Stockholm has become way too expensive...

£50 a day... well that depends, you can stick to mcdonalds etc for like £4. Eating out at night (unless you choose a simple pizza place) will be anywhere from £16 and up and that's not including drinks. Then there are entrance fees if you want to see any sights. That will easily build up to a lot of cash. Not forgetting public transport (slightly cheaper than London) and maybe taxi if you need it.

Stay away from cafe's if you wanna save money, a sandwish and a coffee sets you back about £6 and up.

Helsinki is very expensive as well and Oslo even more...

I have no idea about the other cities..

Drinks and beers in bars is pretty much same prices as London £3-4 for a beer.

Avoid the area around Stureplan in Stockholm, both for eating and shopping, much more expensive there.

Check out Södermalm, lots of smaller shops and also lots of restaurants, not cheap but cheaper..

enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

I just came back from Berlin, which everybody says is soooooo inexpensive. The upshot of my trip was that I paid just short of Stockholm prices for most things other than the occasional cup of coffee. We have regular guests from other countries who comment on the fact that Stockholm is relatively inexpensive and who almost burst into tears when asked to compare Stockholm prices with e.g. Oslo. I actually come from Scotland and travel there regularly and see virtually no difference in prices once the exchange rate is factored in, aside from e.g. the cost of a measure of spirits at a bar, which is quite extortionate in Sweden. So basically, if you're not hanging out at tourist traps in Stockholm and not drinking lots of measures of pure alcohol, you shouldn't find it too expensive at all.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

With the pound and dollar being quite weak against the krona at the moment I can understand that people find it expensive but when I moved here a few years ago I found lots of prices were similar to London.

Anyway, my money saving tip for Stockholm is to make sure you eat your dinner at lunch time taking advantage of the special lunch deals that many restaurants offer - these include a hot meal and a side salad, drinks (often water or cordial), tea or coffee.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Hi Adobe

Riga & Tallinn are fine, even if it has gone up in recent years it's still very good value with our pounds. That said, some of the bars in the centre can be dearer than you'd expect - my general rule of thumb is the bigger the parasols, the bigger the bill! As for the others, if you don't drink or smoke then 50 pounds should be okay. You tend to get a better deal for lunch than dinner - smorgasbord buffet type things, good value & filling so you might only need a snack for tea. It'll be lovely weather then so you could just go to a supermarket for nibbles and find a nice place to sit - plenty of nice places! I definitely think you might want to have a sit down lunch instead of dinner; Copenhagen isn't too bad for food but for Helsinki, Oslo & Sweden - steer well clear of the centres. If you managed on 50 a day in Paris & Rome then you shouldn't have a problem, it's the booze & fags that sting most in Scandinavia.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

I think from what I can gather from the 4 cities, i'll prepare for it to be expensive anyway, Some people have said that it's not too bad, and other have told me its a rip off. I suppose if I over compensate, I can save my money from afterwards to plan my next trip! :P

Can't wait now!

England
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

I have just come back from Copenhagen and found beer priced anywhere between 25 and 50 kroner. I thought it would be a rip off but to be honest I found it ok. A lot of locals buy beer from the supermarkets and drink round the harbour in Nyhaven. (I think thats how it is spelt). Lovely City and Lovely people. Stockholm is next!

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
763 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

"Riga & Tallinn are fine, even if it has gone up in recent years it's still very good value with our pounds."

Are you sure? It's now nearly 3 lats for a half litre of imported beer in the centre. When you factor in the currently poor exchange rate (100 lats costs 112 pounds, last Autumn it was one for one) and the fact that people frequently forget, that a pint contains 568ml, 14% more than a half litre, then you can easily end up paying close to four pounds per UK pint. In some places you can get local beers for 2 lats, again calculating it as above, that's 2.50 GBP per UK pint equivalent. Not good value.

Stockholm usually works out at five pounds per half litre. 10 metro journeys cost me something like 7 pounds. Cigs 4 pounds per pack. Eating out could be done for 15 pounds upwards. Supermarkets were a bit pricey, I paid around 6 pounds just for the ingredients for a few sandwiches.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stockholm - Expensive?

Hi Adobe07

I spent 5 days in Stockholm last August with 2 seventeen year olds and my husband. Yes a glass of wine in the hotel cost me, but apart from that I found the prices OK. We had very good meals in nice restaurants with wine or beer for the adults and coke for the boys. The prices ranged from 85 Euro to 120 Euro for the 4 of us, which was fine for such good food and service.

We bought the Stockholm card and this saved us a fortune. It seemed expensive but it actually worked out excellent value.

Enjoy