We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best day trip from Stockholm?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best day trip from Stockholm?

We will be in Stockholm for 4 days (our first time) in early June. This will be myself, my husband and three children, ages 9,11,13. Since it is not much time, we can only allot one day for a daytip out of the city. We would like to see as much Swedish history and culture as possible. We enjoy walking around and exploring, seeing forts, castles, sights and museums, going to local markets, eating local food at low-key restaurants, and seeing and interacting with local Swedes. After researching this, I was thinking of Sigtuna, Vaxholm or Uppsala. Any other suggestions? Can anyone recommend how we can set-up one day to do and see as much as possible? We don't mind starting very early in the morning and arriving back in Stockholm late at night.

Sweden
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best day trip from Stockholm?

I would say Vaxholm is a wonderful choice since that way you will also get to see a bit of the archipelago.

If you leave really early you should be able to be back in Stockholm in the early afternoon and then have time for something more.

Another idea is going to Birka, the old Viking settlement. Also a short boatride but in the other direction.

some history about Birka:

raa.se/cms/…the_birka_museum.html

I've actually never been myself so I'm sorry I can't say what it's like..

Four days is actually not that little since Stockholm is a rather small city. The attractions are not far apart at all.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best day trip from Stockholm?

Thanks so much for the information. Do you know if we can get on a boat in the morning and go to one of these islands, walk around, have lunch and then get back on a boat to go to another island, walk around the area, have dinner and then go back to Stockholm? Your recommendation of Vaxholm and Birka sound great. Can we do them both in one day?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
507 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best day trip from Stockholm?

We took my parents to Birka in summer 2006. It's a beautiful boat ride and island but other than a nice walk in the countryside and a small interesting museum there wasn't actually much there. This might have changed as they were just starting to build some viking houses using traditional methods. I'd class it as a day trip due to the length of the boat ride (just the one boat each way and no quick ferry/road alternatives). My personal opinion was that it was a nice trip that very much relies on good weather as the guided tour and self guided walk are outdoors. The museum is interesting but doesn't take more than an hour to look around.

Vaxholm does have a more modern day fort just over the water from the town which I haven't been to (put off by the extortionate boat fare for about 100 metres of water). It's a nice boat ride to Vaxholm and as the journey is less than an hour it makes a good half day trip that could include morning tea or lunch. That would leave plenty of time for afternoon excursions in Stockholm. You could also stop off at Fjärdeholmarna a small island with some interesting craft shops and a couple of restaurants (smoked fish being a specialty).

4. Re: What is the best day trip from Stockholm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 27, 2009