We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sl card

Ourem, Portugal
Level Contributor
167 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Sl card

Hi!

A simple, possibly stupid question:

Is the SL card valid only on the metro network or also on the bus network? is it valid on any boat connection between the islands?

Thanks!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sl card

No questions are stupid.

Almost all local transports in greater Stockholm area is made by SL (Stockholm Local-traffic). This means that all metro network, all local bus network and also the commuter trains goes in the same payment system. If you buy an SL card you can travel with all. Exceptions are rare but occur, such as the traffic from/to Arlanda airport operated by Arlanda Express (train) or Flygbussarna (airport coaches).

Single travel tickets give you the opportunity to 1 or 1,5 hour travel depending how it is bought. During that time you can hop off and on again changing from bus to metro and back to bus again as long as the time stamped on the ticket plus 1 hour has not passed when you start the last ride. Such tickets cost from (20) 26 SEK (3,50 USD).

The city ferries to/from Djurgården (Vasa museum, Skansen, Astrid Lindgrens Junibacken museum and more) are not SL but if you have a SL card it is valid even though. Single travel tickets from SL are not valid as well as Stockholm Card or Stockholm a'la Carte. Single journey on the ferries are 30 SEK.

The traffic from central Stockholm to the near or outer archipelago is charge of Waxholmsbolaget, Strömma kanalbolaget and Cinderellabåtarna. It is not covered by a travel card from SL, even if people using the boats to/from work can buy long time combination card for SL and the boats. The prices for such a boat trip is very reasonable and is recommended by me if you have a half day. Just go to the small archipelago town Vaxholm in a narrow strait with an old fortress overlooking, it is just an hour by boat from Nybrokajen or Strömkajen (near Grand Hotel). Many boat lines pass Vaxholm, so it is easy. Go there for a lunch for example.

www.sl.se

www.arlandaexpress.se

www.flygbussarna.se

www.waxholmsbolaget.se

www.strommakanalbolaget.com

www.cinderellabatarna.se

www.vaxholm.se

Ourem, Portugal
Level Contributor
167 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sl card

Thanks! I thought that the card was valid only on the metro network. Better this way!

Can you give me a suggestion?

I only have time to visit one: Drottningholm or Vaxholm. Witch one do you recommend. I know that the palace is a usesco site, but i've seen you recommend Vaxholm 2 or 3 times. In your opinion witch one is more interesting for the outsider tourist?

Thanks!

OF

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sl card

I have recommended Vaxholm because it is an "Archipelago light tour" version. Nice old town with cobbled streets, old buildings, old fortress - nice and really Swedish in many ways and easy access from Stockholm city.

Nevertheless Drottningholm was built as a Swedish copy of the French Versailles palace, and it is a really wonderful place to visit. I think I would recommend you to visit Drottningholm.

This of course depends on what you like in life...

If you want a mini-archipelago tour, just go to Fjäderholmarna for a meal in one of the restaurants there. It is 30 min from Stockholm city.

Mind the opening times for all places, if you do the trip to Stockholm now in winter season.

royalcourt.se/royalcourt/theroyalpalaces/dro…

http://www.fjaderholmarna.se/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
260 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sl card

While I like the archipilago, I would absolutely visit the Drottingholm Slott if you had the choice. It is a beautiful way to spend a half day, take the tour as well inside if it is open while you are there.

5. Re: Sl card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 11, 2009