We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

i am planning a trip to these 3 cities and i want suggestions as to which order i should go and what means of transportation is the best between these 3 wonderful cities?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

Flying would definitely be my travel recommendation. As to the order of travel, why not look into possible events in each city to see if there's a "best route" for you? Otherwise you may find that flights from Toronto may suggest a particular starting point. Are there direct flights to one of the destinations that may suit you? When do you plan to travel? An exciting option, if you happen to be travelling after Spring next year, is to fly Toronto-Stockholm with Icelandair, with the possibility of a stopover in Reykjavik for up to 7 nights. I would jump at the chance to do it if I could...

But I digress. Reasonably priced one-way flights are available between all the capital cities in the Nordic countries. See the following links for examples of flights with budget airlines: http://www.norwegian.no/sw7127.asp (flights Stockholm-Oslo, and also Oslo-Copenhagen), http://www.sterling.dk/flight (flights Stockholm-Copenhagen and Copenhagen-Oslo). Ryanair is another cut-price airline that usually has even cheaper flights, but departure airports are generally so far out that you may well find yourself leaving from the middle of nowhere and arriving in the middle of nowhere. If you book far in advance and/or are fortunate, you can get decent flights with major airline SAS too: www.sas.se/Default.aspx… .

Advance booking for your flights is recommended, if you are pushed for time, travelling during peak tourist periods and/or have a very limited budget: This kind of route is very popular with long-distance tour groups and block bookings may snatch the cheap seats before you have a chance!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

The alternative way of getting around would be to go by train - it takes longer but you get to see a bit more of the country side in Sweden. I think there's an international railway site but you could also check out traintimes at sj.se I think there's an English option.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

If you have a look at some previous postings, you'll find that the train vs. plane debate comes up quite frequently. See e.g. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189806-i232-k1252… for some views on Stockholm-Copenhagen. I thought the train trip from Copenhagen was excruciating and from what I remember of my one-and-only train journey from Stockholm to Oslo, I didn't find it a bundle of laughs or breath-takingly beautiful either: treestreestrees-smalltown-stop-treeestreestrees-smalltown-stop... You get the idea. But you might be intent on seeing what parts of the country look like, or think that it's so much cheaper e.g. with a Scanrail Pass to travel by train that you go for this option. If you're interested in saving money or time, you might want to look into sleeper couchette options on trains, cutting out the need for a hotel that night.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

Admittedly I've only gone from Stockholm to Malmö - not all the way over to Copenhagen but I think that trip is beautiful (lakes, fields, towns and forest to sum up) - it takes four to five hours though! People from Canada might find the train from Stockholm to Oslo a bit dull - I'm sure you've got enough trees in your own country. Of course if you go by train it gives you a chance to stop off at a smaller place and explore that area as well.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

Added to my previous post - the train to continue from Malmö to Copenhagen is around 30-45 minutes I think.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Toronto
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

thank you!!!

i am travelling the first 2 weeks of October.......is it going to be a lot of rain and cold? i checked the weather network website and it doesn't seem to be too bad but i would still like to hear what you experts say......

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

It's really hard to say to be honest, the weather can be so variable and at the moment things are going a bit nuts all over Europe. I would guess the weather will be around 5-10 degrees during the day with a mix of rain, clouds and sunshine - a bit warmer in Copenhagen and a bit colder in Oslo. But it could get warmer (but probably no more than 15 degrees and colder (but probably no colder than -5 or so).

Sorry, this is probably the vaguest post I've ever written - weather is a tough one! :)

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
110 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

I would definitively choose the train, out of the same reasons I always take the train between Toronto and Montreal = friendlier for the environment, gives you time to think/work, etc. Stockholm - Copenhagen takes about 5 hours and 15 minutes; Stockholm - Oslo about 6 hours. However, depending on when you book it, taking the train can be more expensive than flying (there are several low cost airlines such as Norwegian, Sterling etc).

Having lived in Canada for a few years myself, I fully agree with the comment that the landscape might look familiar to you. It is true. It will look a lot like Canada. I always had to pretend to be surprised when people showed me around, since it looked so much like home...

And a lot of other things will be similar as well... such as the weather! Stockholm/Oslo is generally a bit colder than Toronto that time of year; Copenhagen about the same. October can be beautiful, it can be the best time of the year, but it can also be cold, windy and wet - and it can change fast! Bring clothes for fall, a warm sweater and a rain jacket!

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

Another possibility ... I am pretty sure that there is an overnight ferry between Copenhagen and Oslo. You might check into this.

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
malmoe, sweden
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stockholm, Olso, and Copenhagen

I guess any order is fine here, but here are some tips:

Ferry/boat/cruise ship between Oslo and Copenhagen:

overnight trip, board the ship at night in Oslo city center and arrive in Copenhagen center the next morning. Good quality, fair prices.

check out www.colorline.no or www.stenaline.no.

Train between Stockholm and Copenhagen:

takes almost longer to fly due to security checks. Ok nature on the way, ok priced. check out www.sj.se.

So, based on these tips, and assuming you do not want a round-trip ending up the same place you started, i would suggest:

1) Oslo, ferry to Copenhagen, then train to Stockholm

2) Stockholm, train to Copenhagen, then ferry to Oslo

If you want to end up the same place you started:

Start in Copenhagen, ferry to Oslo, fly to Stockholm, train to Copenhagen.

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark