We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from airport to hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from airport to hotel

How would you advise us to get from Arlanda Airport to our hotel - the Scandic Sergel Plaza Hotel at Brunkebergstorg 9

Stockholm 10327 Sweden ?

Would you advise taking the Arlanda Express train to Central Station which I understand takes about 20 min. or would you take a taxi? We will each have a luggage on wheels plus a carryon. Are there a lot of steps? What is the cost versus taking a cab? How far isit from where the train lets you off to the hotel?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

During the summer, there's a special deal on the Arlanda Express: 2 for 240 SEK. Comparisons are complicated by the fact that you don't say how many will be travelling, so you'll have to do your own sums ;-). The major taxi companies have fixed prices. Taxi Stockholm offers a fixed rate of 445 SEK for an ordinary car taking around 4 passengers with luggage, 665 for a large car. Taxi 020 charges 445 SEK, 670 for a large car.

NB: There will be taxis waiting at the airport, but make sure you travel with one of the companies mentioned unless you want to risk being ripped off. You should always refer to the fixed price when you get in, just in case.

Your hotel is right in the centre of the city and there should be no real trouble getting your luggage there if you choose the train. Stockholm is a relatively "wheel friendly" city and there are escalators, ramps or lifts to get you up and down in pretty much every station and exit in the city centre. You should be able to get in and out without negotiating stairs at all.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Thank you very much Smulan . We are 2 people travelling. I am happy to hear that there are lifts and escalators. 240 is a lot less cheaper than 440. I will definitely take the train.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Smulan- we have decided to take your advice and take the Arlanda express because of the savings. Once you get off at the Central Station stop how far do you have to walk to get to our hotel?Which direction do we go in? What are the street names? Do you know how many stops there are before we have to get off? I don't want to miss our stop or get lost. Thanks for your help again.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

I'm afraid I'm in between trips myself at the moment and don't have a lot of time to reply. Hopefully the link I've sent you in a message will be of some help. The red flag shows your hotel. Basically, the easiest way seems to be for you to exit Central Station at Vasagatan, just where you get off the Arlanda Express (roughly across from the lower T, "T-Centralen", marked on the map). Then you turn right on Vasagatan and left onto Vattugatan, cross the shopping street Drottninggatan, then round Stadsteatern, which will be on your left hand side.

There's a slightly more direct way via a churchyard, but I'd think it'd be easier to get lost trying to find gates and things. Another option would be to take the escalator upstairs to the bus departure lounge in Central Station and go via Klarabergsviadukten and Sergels torg to see more of the centre of the city, but it's a popular shopping area and crowds may make it more difficult to navigate with luggage.

Don't be put off by the number of blocks on the map: I would say it's a 5 minute walk. we dragged our own luggage around the same area today and had no trouble covering the distances or navigating shoppers and tourists.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

Thank you Smulan. The map is very helpful. I am going to E-mail you a message with another question about the map you sent.

6. Re: Transportation from airport to hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 05, 2009