We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycle hire on the archipelago

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cycle hire on the archipelago

On which of Stockholm's islands could I hire a bike and have a pleasant cycle around? A couple of years ago I took a day trip to Utö, hired a bike and had a great time - I believe Utö is best but where else can I venture?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycle hire on the archipelago

There are bicycle rentals on around 20 islands. Most of them are listed on the website here. Unfortunatly it is in Swedish only, but I think you can get some information anyway.

http://www.skargardsstiftelsen.se/?id=323

The main site www.skargardsstiftelsen.se has general information in English.

And here you have websites for planning the boat trips:

www.cinderellabatarna.com

www.waxholmsbolaget.se

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycle hire on the archipelago

Vad bra! Tack så mycket!

Very useful information.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycle hire on the archipelago

Forgot to give you this link to a on-line website translator:

…worldlingo.com/en/…url_translator.html

Swedish website in and - sort of - English language out... :)

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycle hire on the archipelago

OK I'm back and chose Svartsö (Ahlsviks), a nice hot sunny day except for two short downpours that came from nowhere (a characteristic of Stockholm weather, I think, or is that why it is 'black island'? - if my Swedish is correct).

Svartsö is a pleasant island to be on, although the only places to cycle to are ferry ports - nowhere to stop and relax except to ice-cream shop (which had a vinyl record player, playing Fuzzbox, slightly surreal).

I'd forgotten any ID to hire the bike (e.g. passport) and they were reluctant to let me hire it, but after the downpour I was glad that I had left any important papers in my hotel.

Thanks again, Baggen.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycle hire on the archipelago

I am glad you liked it. And I am also glad you make this report, which more people could do after their trip, I think.

To give a short report after your trip is really good for the people right then planning their own later trip.

6. Re: Cycle hire on the archipelago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 04, 2009