We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

We have purchased a 1st class Eurail Select pass for our travels in Denmark and Sweden. We plan to take the X2000 from Goteborg to Stockholm. I've read that seat reservations are mandatory. How do I purchase that reservation? Do trains fill up? Also, is it possible to purchase other seat reservations at the same time? We will also take the train from Stockholm to Leksand for Midsummer festivities and from Leksand to Copenhagen after that weekend. I would appreciate any other advice about train travel in Sweden and Denmark, too.

THANKS!

Sweden
Level Contributor
751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

The x2000 sometimes fills up so reservation at least a day in advance could be a good idea. If your need for speed isn't that great you could always take a regular train instead if x2000 is full.

Yes, you can make all reservations at once at the trainstation.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

Thank you for your information! Do you think it's necessary to make a seat reservation (on an Intercity train) for our trip to Leksand? We plan to leave Stockholm in the morning on 22 June.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

YEEESS!! And buy ticket in time!

All transport that day will be crowded. Midsummer is one of the biggest holydays in Sweden. Leksand is one of the centers for the midsummer celebrations.

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

Thank you for your advice! It's good to know it's important to make a seat reservation. Do you know how much the seat reservation costs?

Thank you!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

I presume you would like to make reservations before you arrive to Sweden.

Normally seat reservations are done on www.sj.se, They are free and it is possible to pick up the ticket in ticketing machines or desks in Swedish train stations (including danish Copenhagen airport) or to get it as an e-mail or as a sms to your cell phone, which you show on the train.

BUT the problem is that you have bought Eurail, which not is an option in the Swedish internet booking system. Eurail is mostly used by Americans visiting Europe, i think. We europeans buy another type of card for that sort of unlimited train tavel.

I guess you have to go through Eurail in US to buy or atleast book train reservations.

Anyone else who know this??

Last something I cannot recommend of course...

By curiosity I tried to violate the booking system on www.sj.se (english av.) and instead of the non-present option Eurail card I choose Månadskort (month card), and everything was possible. I did nor finish to the very end, but...

6. Re: Seat Reservations w/ Railpass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 02, 2009