We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding in vaxjo sweden

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
wedding in vaxjo sweden

my dear friend just announced she is getting married in vaxjo sweden midsummer (June 20, 2014).

Sweden has never been on my radar, so I don't know much about it. I know its a long flight from southern california but my daughter will be traveling elsewhere in Europe at the time, so we are looking into extending her stay and me meeting her in Sweden.

What would minimum length of stay be -- and how do I even get there? Copenhagen, then train?

If I had 10 days, could I possibly do 4 in Vaxjo, then someplace else in sweden or another country on the way back to the states?

Suggestions?

Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

Flying to Copenhagen and taking the train to Växjö is, as you've written yourself, the best option for just going to or from Växjö.

The obvious place to extend your stay is Copenhagen. A beautiful city with a lot to see, and if you're flying in or out there, it's no extra travel. Stockholm is very beautiful, too. We've got unique sights (the Vasa, Skansen) and the archipelago is stunning.

Maybe fly to Copenhagen, stay 2–3 days, then train to Växjö, stay for 4 days, then train to Stockholm for three days there with a day trip in the archipelago. Then fly back from Stockholm.

If you've got specific interests, there might be other options as well.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

If you rather stay closer to Växjö, town Kalmar on the east coast might be a good option that could be combined with a trip to Öland, a long and narrow island in the Baltic Sea with pretty beaches and the beautiful barren plains (Alvaret) on the middle.

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

Thank you I will look this up!

Sweden
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

While in Växjö, visit the glassworks of Småland

visitsmaland.se/en/article/641/glasriket/the…

Most of them are on the way to Kalmar and the island of Öland.

If you are interested in world heritage sites I would recommend the town of Karlskrona (an hour and a half drive from Växjö) http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/871

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

I'm VERY drawn to world heritage sites. This is wonderful...looking up now!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

Norwegian.com does direct flights (not daily) from LAX to both Copenhagen and Stockholm, but you'll struggle to get return flights for less than US$1000.

Vaxjo is a 2.5 hour train journey (direct) from Copenhagen commuter rail (departures every hour), while stockholm is 3.5 hours away with a change of trains (in Alvesta). For the commuter train no need to book ahead, as prices are fixed. For the train ride between Stockholm and Vaxjo, book 90 days in advance for discounted tickets (discount prices vary from 200-300 SEK - full 2nd class fare is 1300 SEK).

Don't overreach, 10 days is just enough to get a taste of Stockholm, Copenhagen and some of the places in between.

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wedding in vaxjo sweden

Thank you for your replies. I have to keep in mind that I am there for a wedding so truly I need to constraint to vaxjo when I arrive for a few days of wedding prep and the wedding is taking place on an actual festival day (June 20). Then I will have 5 days after the wedding.

Reply to: wedding in vaxjo sweden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vaxjo