We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
218 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

We will be driving from Copenhagen to Kalmar in early October, specifically to visit the glass factories. We would appreciate any suggestions as to what to see en route.

Thanks.

Kalmar Castle
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kalmar Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites
Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

I just made that trip (actually Malmö to Kalmar and back) Thursday and Friday last week. Some places might not be so great (weatherwise) in early October, but there are still lots of possibilities. Before I get into more detail it would be helpful to know two things:

1 - how much time do you have for this excursion?

2 - is this going to be a roundtrip from Copenhagen to Kalmar and then back to Copenhagen? (If so, could suggest a circular route).

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

Yes -- it looks like we will be returning our rental car to Copenhagen and then flying to Berlin. We leave CPH on a Friday morning and return either Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. May go into Berlin a day or two early, if there's not enough to see/do in the Southern Denmark/Kalmar area.

We want to spend at least a day at the glass factories -- that's our primary reason for going. Were there 25 years ago, and we've wanted to go back ever since. That's the only set stop.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

That really gives you plenty of time, and I would definitely recommend doing this as a circular tour. If you decide to do this, you can obviously do it in either the direction I mention below, or the opposite direction - makes no difference.

From Copenhagen, cross the bridge to Sweden. Spend a few hours in downtown Malmö. Make sure you see the Turning Torso, about a mile away from the downtown area (Google for info and photos if you're not familiar with the Turning Torso). Downtown Malmö is mainly 'pedestrian country', but in early October it's not going to be quite the hustle and bustle that it is during the summer. Still a nice experience.

From Malmö, head straight south to Vellinge, and then continue southwest thru Höllviksnäs to the small towns of Falsterbo and Skanör, at the tip of the peninsula. If you want a unique experience, check out Skanörs Gästgifvaregård. They have a website:

www.skanorsgastis.se and there's an English version (click on the British flag). You can spend the night there, and they also have excellent food. Typical food for that part of Sweden. Not cheap, but I'm sure it would be an unforgettable experience. Check out the white beaches, especially along the Baltic side of Falsterbo (i.e. south facing coast). Not the right time to go swimming, but still interesting.

Then head east along the southern coast, thru the city of Trelleborg to the city of Ystad. The drive itself will be interesting, so just keep your eyes open and stop here and there.

The City of Ystad has a website:

www.ystad.se

On the righthand side of the page under 'International' there's an English version. There's a 7 minute film about Ystad, which is pretty good. It starts out in English and then goes to Swedish, but you'll still enjoy it. Or maybe there's an all English version that I didn't find!

Proceed east from Ystad along the southeastern tip of Skåne, to the town of Simrishamn. Glimmingehus is a medieval manor southwest of the town. Google for more info. Stenshuvud National Park is north of the town. Again, Google for more info (quite a bit in English). Head north to the city of Kristianstad, and then follow main highway E22 towards Kalmar. Ivösjön ("Lake Ivö") right next to Bromölla, halfway between Kristianstad and Sölvesborg, is beautiful.

Some 10 miles or so after passing Karlskrona, make a detour out to Kristianopel, a small historic village by the water. Very picturesque. You should then head north and spend at least two nights in Kalmar and use that as a base. Drive across the bridge to the island of Öland. Make a little circle tour, south from Färjestaden, across to the east side and then head north up to Borgholm.

When leaving Kalmar, head west through the province of Småland. Maybe follow the main road to Växjö and make some sidetrips onto some smaller country roads to some of the lakes. A great experience! Continue west to Halmstad and then head south. Make a 'right turn' towards Båstad and head out on that peninsula to Torekov. Probably pretty quiet in October. The little island, Hallands Väderö, is a national preserve. Minutes away by boat. Then head south & southeast and around the bay (Skälderviken) to the peninsula just to the south. Visit the small village of Arild, drive out to the tip of the pensinsula and walk out to the lighthouse. Very dramatic nature. After the village of Mölle, head south to Helsingborg. A few miles inland you'll find Sofiero which is the old king's summer place. Beautiful garden (he was heavbily into rhododendrons!). Google for more info. Downtown Helsingborg is pedestrian only, so easy to explore on foot. Then take the ferry across to Helsingør, only 20 minutes or so. Visit Kronborg Castle and the pedestrian only downtown area, then head south to Copenhagen.

If you have any questions about any of these places or any other places, let me know. I have been to all these places.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

Thank you in spades -- that's perhaps the most cogent and complete information I've ever received, in or out of TripAdvisor. We may have a stop in Angelholm -- our daughter was an AFS exchange student to Northern Sweden in the 1980s, and her host mother now lives in Angelholm -- but that should fit with Malmo.

Again, thank you for taking the time to send such valuable material. Our trip will be much richer for it.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

You're more than welcome! I enjoyed taking the time. And incorporating a stop in Ängelholm will of course be very easy since it's right on the above route, just inland from Skälderviken, a bit north of Helsingborg. If you have any further questions, let me know. Aloha!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

Hi BusyBee -- If coming to Ängelholm, I would recommend to spend some time around Kullahalvön and Bjärehalvön. Both peninsulas, one north the other south of the Ängelholm.

Both have a great portion of charm. In Oct maybe less people around.

Recommended spots of Kullahalvön: essentially the Mölle area + Kullaberg nature reserve. Arild is a nice village too. Maybe do lunch/dinner at Rut på Skäret (may only be open during weekends in Oct though?). I just love that restaurant!

Interesting areas of Bjärehalvön: Båstad and Torekov surroundings.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

Thanks -- appreciate the tips. The October timing may be a problem, but we will work it out.

8. Re: Sightseeing suggestions between Copenhagen and Kalmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 30, 2010