We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from holland to the middle of sweden

Which Malmo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Welwyn Garden City...
3 posts
Save Topic
driving from holland to the middle of sweden

hi, im moving to Sweden in September and taking some furniture with me so will have a van. ive got a price for the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland but just need tips and routes from Holland to Sweden

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

Hi!

Welcome to Sweden!

I don't think Malmö-forum is the best section to ask a question about how to get from Holland to the Swedish border. You mention middle of Sweden when Malmö is in the very south.

You may get proper replies if you put it in Sweden (general). :)

There are ferries to Sweden from Kiel (DE) to Gothenburg, Helsingör (DK) to Helsingborg and also Rostock, Travemunde and Sassnitz (all three to Trelleborg).

There is also a bridge (at SEK395) between Copenhagen and Malmö.

So it all depends on how much you want to pay instead of driving.

Ferry lines:

Stena Line, TT Lines, Scandlines.

Please specify a bit more, and I will see how I can help you further.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

Michelin route planner is a good tool.

http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

Wow, thanks Hans! (even if it wasn't for me ;) )

Super tip!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
503 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

I agree Malmö might not be the best forum for the question, (but many of us read the whole Sweden forum).

DFDS has a ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg as well, Then you could either drive to Frederikshavn or Grenå and take another ferry (Stena line) to Göteborg or Varberg, and drive on from there.

Or, you could drive over the Store Belt, Lille belt and Öresund bridges to Malmö, and on from there.

I don't know whether the following website is useful for your planning:

http://www.aferry.com/

Welwyn Garden City...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

thank you for the replies everybody. I didn't actually specify Malmo, it just seemed to come up automatically. im actually going to Vastmanlands, not sure how far in distance that is from Stockholm.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
503 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

Västmanland is not far from Stockholm, 2 - 3 hours. To a drive that long, it doesn't make any difference. Depending on which way you are driving and whereabouts in Västmanland you're going, you might not need to pass through Stockholm.

Welwyn Garden City...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

thank you. im not too bothered about the Sweden leg, as ive been there a few times and have a good idea of where im going. it was just the easiest route to Sweden.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

You'll drive very very slow if you need 2-3 hours to get there. ;)

Border of Västmanland is 40 min away by car, 1 hour (Västerås 110 kms) and even 2 hours if you drive further north.

Anyways, hope the michelin-planner Hans linked to will be of help for you :)

Edited: 1:15 pm, July 21, 2013
Göteborg
Level Contributor
377 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

The route planner on Google suggests taking the ferry from Puttgarden to Rödby and then the Öresund bridge.

You might want to take a night ferry, (instead of sleeping in a hotel on the way) They are a bit more expensive, but on the other hand you save some time and diesel... There are night ferrys from Kiel to Gothenburg, Travemunde to Trelleborg and Rostock to Trelleborg.

Take the size of the van in consideration when you compare prices. Different ferry lines have different length regulations for different prices.

10. Re: driving from holland to the middle of sweden

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 02, 2014