We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need we worry about bugs?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need we worry about bugs?

As we will be around this summer, with dogs, it has just occured to me that we may need bug repellant. Rae there Mosquitos, ticks, fleas and the like in grassy/nature areas?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need we worry about bugs?

There are ticks in grassy areas and in some areas there are ticks carrying TBE, a serious form of encephalitis. Ticks carrying TBE are mainly found on the east coast from Kalmar to Stockholm, the Stockholm archipelago and around lake Mälaren west of Stockholm. Only a very few cases of TBE have been reported in Skåne.

About 20% of the ticks carry borrelia and are to be found in all parts of Sweden.

The risk to get infected with TBE or borrelia is rather low if the tick is removed within 24 hours and in a correct way. But I guess you know how to remove a tick as you have a dog. :-)

Mosquitos can be a nuisance, particularly up north. I visit Skåne every summer and where my friends live there are no mosquitos at all, even though I am pretty sure they do exist locally.

Edited: 12:27 pm, May 11, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need we worry about bugs?

Correction:

If the tick carries TBE the risk to get infected is high even shortly after the bite. The risk to get infected with borrelia increases the longer the tick is feeding and is low during the first 24 hours. It is always important to remove the tick properly.

3. Re: Need we worry about bugs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, June 23, 2013