We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Lund
Search

Should I try out my Swedish?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

I have been trying to learn bait of Swedish for our trip. I know Lund is pretty international and lots of people speak good English. Will people be insulted if I mangle Swedish in my attempt, should I just stick with English? Tak.

7 replies to this topic
Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
54 reviews
32 helpful votes
1. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

Short answer: yes, try your Swedish!

Long answer:

Swedes usually like when foreigners (try to) speak Swedish. We get flattered that people actually take time to learn our 9–10-million-speakers-language.

But, since we usually consider our language to be of small importance, we're often making times hard for people, especially English-speakers, that want to speak Swedish. As soon as we realise the other person isn't Swedish, or has minor vocabulary or grammatical trouble, we're switching to English.

So, to get to speak Swedish, you'll probably have to insist a few times :)

But, please, do! You'll have no better time using your Swedish or improving it, than when you're here!

Edited: 1:12 pm, February 20, 2012
Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing if anyone can make out what I say.

Byen
Level Contributor
641 posts
3. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

The "swedish" they speak in the southern part of Sweden (Skane) where Lund is, is something quite different from the regular swedish language. Sounds like trying to speak a mix of swedish and danish with a hot potato in the mouth. But good luck, do try your swedish, it can't be worse than "skanska". :-)

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

Frank, that may work in my favor then. I speak Danish and making the switch has been a challenge. At least I may understand more than I thought.

Sweden
Level Contributor
214 posts
30 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

Insist on speaking Swedish! Since you speak Danish you won´t find the Swedish spoken in Lund difficult to understand. Lund is, as mentioned, a very international town and most people are accustomed to people trying to use Swedish at different levels.

Go ahead! Lund has a lot to offer!

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
341 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

Great, I'm getting very excited. See you all next week.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
571 posts
11 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Should I try out my Swedish?
Save

Despite what people in the rest of Sweden believe, the Danes usually have a harder time understanding the Scanians than understanding other Swedes. It's a very special dialect. Lund, on the other hand, is a typical university town and their dialect is probably the easiest one to understand in all of Scania.

The main reason that the Scanian dialect is so different from other Swedish dialects is that Scania was a part of Denmark until 1658 when the treaty of Roskilde was concluded. When considering this, the fact that both the rest of the Swedes and the Danes have a hard time understanding Scanians is a bit ironical.

Reply to: Should I try out my Swedish?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lund