We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

-
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Planning the last stages if our itinerary toward Stockholm. Is Gotland worth a visit; the pictures don't convince me at this stage. What's at Gotland that I couldn't see anywhere else in mainland Sweden?

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Visby City Wall
Castles, Historic Sites
Langhammars Sea Stack Field
Geologic Formations, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Hogklint Naturreservat
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Gotlands Museum
Specialty Museums
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

A few notes:

Visby, the "Capital" of Gotland is the only remaining wall enclosed city in Sweden.

The nature and flaura and fauna is quite different to other parts of Sweden.

As is the food.

Mentioned in this post
Visby
Visby
Gotland, Sweden
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

I feel it is worth a visit as my Father was born in Visby Gotland and the information I have is very sparse..would love to know more ...maybe someday I will see it ...

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Hi,

If you haven't already checked out this site, you should:

www.gotland.info/language/eng/index.php

If you decide to go to Gotland, it could be a good idea to have your own car for 1 or 2 days.

It takes about 5 hours to travel from Stockholm to Visby on the ferry (transfer bus or commuter train from Stockhom to Nynäshamn harbour included). A flight is 35 - 40 minutes.

Visby is also connected by ferry to Oskarshamn so if you travel by car or train from Denmark or southern Sweden and want to include Gotland this ferry is useful.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Visby
Visby
Gotland, Sweden
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Hello again! Thank you for the information I really appreciate any information you have...Hilda

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Yes it is worth a visit. Visby is a beautiful city with lots of great restaurants. If you have time a day trip to Faro is highly recommended.

Happy travelling

Mentioned in this post
Visby
Visby
Gotland, Sweden
Faro
Faro
Gotland, Sweden
Visby, Sweden
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Just wanting to say that I've never seen anything like Gotland on the mainland of Sweden... It is just amazing! The combination of medieval town of Visby, and the green scenery of the countryside - wow. If you have the time, I would definitely recommend to visit. I visited 6 years ago and ended up moving here in the end...

Edited: 3:24 am, June 01, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Visby
Visby
Gotland, Sweden
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Kappura - or anyone - we are visiting in July and want to rent bikes for the day we will be there (cruise). Since we will be short on time, would you recommend a village we could bike to and have a good lunch, enjoy the scenery and bike back? (9am-4pm) Thanks.

Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Medieval week in Gotland is really something. everyone is very enthusiastic. You walk by Vikngs shooting flaming arrows and everyone is in medieval garb which you buy at the fairgrounds. In fact some restaurants will not let you in if you are not in a medieval attire. what fun. It is very hard to get a hotel in a medical week so you have to book early. We could only get a youth hostel which was a three mile walk from town. Being 62 it has been a long tome since I stayed in a hostel. But medieval week is something to be experienced. They always were grilling a whole lamb at the fairgrounds and we would eat that once a day during our travls.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Hi there I noticed that you were in Stockholm recently and I am traveling there with my family in July 2014. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the 5 things not to be missed in and around Stockholm. Also did you go to Gotland and should I incorporate into the iteinerary

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Gotland, Sweden
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Gotland Worth A Visit?

Gotland is known for its Medieval charm. Inner Visby retains it's Medieval look, making you feel as if you've been transported 750 years back in time. As another commenter noted, it's one of the few medieval walled cities in the world. In fact, the city is on the UNESCO World Heritage list (like Stonehenge and The Pyramids). I am in Gotland on business right now (May 2014). I recommend coming, but you have to book the ferry now...it may already be sold out for your dates (www.destinationgotland.com). Unfortunately if you only have 5 days in Sweden you may not really have time to do mainland and Gotland. If I were bringing my family to Sweden for 5 days I would probably do 2 days on mainland and three on Gotland.

Gotland Day 1: Visby and Gotlands Forsnal Museum. Day 2: travel countryside to visit Medieval Churches and archaeological sites south of Visby. Day 3: travel north countryside to visit Bunge museum, and archaeological sites. If you have children work in Viking Village near Tofta. They also have pretty good beaches near Tofta as well. There's beautiful lighthouses around the island as well.

Don't miss the Gotlands Forsnal Museum.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Visby
Visby
Gotland, Sweden
Tofta
Tofta
Gotland, Sweden