We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Across to Gotland

JSN
san francisco
Level Contributor
362 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Across to Gotland

We want to spend two nights in Gotland on a road trip between Copenhagen and Stockholm in June. Is the ferry from Oskarshamm(?) the quickest? I have read about some high speed Sea Cat but don't see any info on the net. Does it make sense to drive up to STK and take an airplane? We don't care if we take the rental car over to Visby or not.

Any sightseeing tips for Gotland? My husband is wild for Viking stuff, so I think he will be happy to take an island tour or something right out of Visby..

1 reply
Ronneby, Sweden
Level Contributor
245 posts
771 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Across to Gotland

There are two lines connecting to Gotland. One is departing from Oskarshamn and the other one starts in Nynashamn. They have a couple of ferries which operates the lines, but all of them are high-speed ferries. The tour over will take you about 3h. The fastest trips starts from Oskarshamn, but the time difference between Nynashamn and Oskarshamn are only 20-40 min depending on ferry. No need of going to STK to go to Gotland. You can check them out here among with time tables and more:

destinationgotland.se/dg/…fartygsfakta.asp

Pre-booking tickets on the boats ar strongly recommended!

Even if Vikings lived on the island, their heritage on the island are to me not the first impression you get. Gotland are more visible Middle Age than Viking. There are however cool Viking stuff in the Visby museum (which shouldn't be missed anyway). There are also a theme park outside Visby with a Viking theme. Haven't been there myself, but you can read more here:

http://www.vikingabyn.com/

For ideas of trips outside Visby I would head for the island of Faro. Pay a visit to the sea-stacks at Langhammars and Digerhuvud and enjoy this very special island by just driving around.

Reply to: Across to Gotland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted