We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving cars with daytime running lights?

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Driving cars with daytime running lights?

Hi folks!

I have a question about car driving in Sweden: my car has DRL (daylight running lights). This are the small extra lights at the front of the car (no light at the rear of tzhe car at daylight). Is this sufficient for driving in Sweden or is it mandatory to switch on main lamps?

Thanks for your comments!

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

The lights should be on in the rear as well, so you'll have to turn on the main lights as well.

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
2. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

Actually, the rear lights are not mandatory strangely enough:

https://translate.google.se/translate…

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

Oh, good to know! Seems to have changed since I got my license :)

Well, then DRL seems all fine and dandy!

Solna, Sweden
Level Contributor
766 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

visitsweden.com/sweden/…

"Headlights must be used 24 hours a day."

Headlights!

In swedish:

https:/…

" Bilar från årsmodell 2009 kan vara utrustade med så kallad DRL (Daytime Running Light, varselljus). DRL ersätter halvljus utan att belysningen bak är tänd. Notera att om ett släpfordon kopplas till en bil med DRL ska baklyktorna på släpfordonet lysa."

"Cars from 2009 and forwards can be equipped with DRL . DRL replaces "half ligth" without rear light being lit.

etc"

Mjolby, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
144 reviews
5. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

I don't think Visit Sweden can override the law ;-)

DRL are enough as per the EU legislation:

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

So in this case headlights (low beam/half light) is equivalent to DRL.

Seems a bit strange for us Swedes since it's been (or was at least) mandatory 24/7 with headlights for a long time.

For me it's a step backwards in terms of safety, especially since the rear lights are not mandatory when using DRL.

But still, it's in accordance with the law and anyone driving a car meeting the DRL requirements are free to use DRL.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,938 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

I suspect that VisitSweden is giving a simple answer that covers everyone.

Headlights were certainly required 80-82 when I was a kid living in Stockholm, to the extent that when my parents came back to the UK it took them a number of months to get out of the habit. However I also suspect that DRL systems were not exactly common at the time so no consideration had to be given for them (nor were EU regulations an issue). I would feel safer with rear lamps on as no tail lights would make me nervous as they really are the main 'Im here' light.

Europe
Level Contributor
357 posts
7. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

I understand the questions and the curiosity to know what kind of light are obligatory or not. But what I can’t understand is what is wrong about switching on your headlights anyway if you are not sure it is obligatory or not? Are you saving on your electricity bill or car battery?

I notice during the years that recently more countries even the ones with the warmer weather and lots of sunshine adding the laws of driving with headlights, at list for buses, truck etc. It is proven to help in noticing moving vehicles. I got so used to it so when someone forget sometimes to switch the lights on I might notice those cars from much closer distance than cars with the headlights on.

Now I have the habit to switch on the headlights in any country I’m driving, nothing wrong by letting other drivers or pedestrians seeing me from the distance.

8. Re: Driving cars with daytime running lights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2016