We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

Quebec City, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

I will be arriving in Copenhagen on June 20 and intended to go to Malmo/Ystad and drive north to Gothenburg and come back through Denmark back to Copenhagen. We can also do it the other way around i.e. start with Denmark and finish with the west coast of Sweden. It is midsummer festivities on June 21 and 22. I understand from my researches on the web that there is a lot of traffic on June 21 and that there is "dancing around the maypole" on Saturday June 22. It looks like a family reunion thing and I wonder if, as a tourist, it would be better to avoid Sweden on those 2 days and start with Denmark because everything will be closed or is it possible to participate to the festivities? If so, what would be a nice place for that on the west coast?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

I´ve experienced midsummer festivities in a small coast village with a certain tourism reputation, Fjällbacka north of Göteborg, and found it a very charming experience - also as a foreigner. I find it strange if the event should cause traffic problems, but Swedes might have a different opninion/be better informed..

In Denmark, we have public bonfires in the evening, preferrably by the water, and some singing. Charming as well, but without the dancing or afternoon events.

Edited: 4:51 pm, April 10, 2013
Quebec City, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

Is it true that in Denmark, it is celebrated on June 23rd? So you have a place to duggest to celebrate midsummer in Denmark?

Göteborg
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

In Sweden, It´s midsummer eve (friday), that is celebrated. Most people celebrate with their friends/family, at someoner summer house etc. There are small public celebrations in many villages, and residetial areas, but that´s not very interesting for a Tourist. The popular summer tourist places along the coast will probably be a bit crowded with drunk teenagers...

My suggestion would be to attend some larger public celebration at for example a castle or large park, for example Tjolöholm (never been there myself, but it´s along your route. http://www.tjoloholm.se/hem?jglmid=1

Ithink you´ll be able to find more info about times and places later on.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

"Is it true that in Denmark, it is celebrated on June 23rd? So you have a place to duggest to celebrate midsummer in Denmark?"

--------------------------------------

Yes, it will celebrated in that evening and it is called "Sankt Hans" / "Skt. Hans".

An example, probably lively, popular, yet relaxed, is the event at Nyhavn in central Copenhagen, from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., including some jazz music.

There are a lot of such celebrations. When the date is approaching, you might do some googling, TA-asking or consult the English weekly newspaper in Copenhagen, "The Copenhagen Post", on the subject.

Edited: 1:46 am, April 11, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

The traffic isn't that bad even though more people than normal are on the roads. Just relax as you won't be in a hurry to reach a certain place before a certain time(?).

6. Re: Midsummer for tourists: avoid or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 13, 2014