We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

Hi all,

I would be in Stockholm during the extended easter weekend (28-31 March 2013). I am thinking about going on Norway in a Nutshell tour( 1 day ) mainly for the Fjords.

But i dont want the other 2.5-3 days to go waste. Could someone please suggest another trip (low-medium budget) for any other countries/places covered under the schengen visa.

This is my first trip to europe so everyplace will be new to me . I always wanted to see Switzerland and France(esp Paris). But i dont know if its possible under this short time.

I am a photography enthusiast and a nature and wildlife lover. So anything that server either purpose will be good for me .

Can someone please suggest some options. I will be highly grateful for your help.

Also, Please let me know if there are better options than Norway in a Nutshell.

Thanks a lot

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

Going to Norway for a day means that you will spend most of your time travelling. The train from Stockholm to Olso takes about 6-7 hours, and then you need to get from there to Bergen.

Flying to Switzerland or France for a day will also take too much time.

You could take a 24 hour cruise to Helsinki, Finland, but you will then spend most of the time on the cruise ship. A cruise from Stockholm to Helsinki is really cheap if you book late. Another alternative is to take a day cruise to Mariehamn, Åland. It's also a part of Finland. I think that you'll get good photo opportunities from the cruise ship. The archipelago is very beautiful.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

If you choose the Norway in a nutshell tour; train from Stockholm to Bergen, one way, takes 14 - 22 hrs depending.

The train ride from Oslo to Bergen is spectacular, and is a trip worth making, in its own.

Flying from Stockholm to Bergen takes 3.5 hours up to 7 - 8 hours dependiing on interconnections.

Still, if Stockholm is your base, I would skip the Norway excursion, and focus on the Stockholm area and maybe Helsinki. A cruise to Helsinki, or Åbo, through the archipelago as suggested by MrTheTraveller, maybe even stay a day and see Helsinki (or Åbo).

And spend a day or two looking at Stockholm, or maybe some excursion from Stockholm. Uppsala, Sigtuna.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

hi again,

I realize I was a bit fast to answer.

I've now re read your post, and I see that you are a photographer and nature lover.

You are coming to Stockholm. Stockholm is in the north of Europe, and in my opinion it doesn't make

sense to try to see anything on the continent of Europe, if Stockholm is your base, for a prolonged weekend.

You need to stay in the area if you want to avoid spending too much time traveling.

The nature in the Stockholm area, is not as dramatic as the fiords of Norway,

but there's lots of nature, some of it is unique, and all of it is definitely different from where you are coming from.

Why not make use of the short time seeing what is here?

The archipelago is unique. You can see it from the ferries to Finland:

to Åbo, which is a nicer trip or to Helsinki, with a larger destination town, and stay a day in either town (or take the shorter trip to Mariehamn and back.)

Or else, if you want to get a bit closer to the water and islands, and maybe even stop on some island,

you could take a regular Waxholmsbolaget boat, to some destination, for example Grinda, Gällnö, or take a bus to Waxholm or Stavsnäs and take a boat from there, if you want to get further out, to Husarö or Sandhamn.

waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/…

You might possibly even spend the night, even though the options are probably bothlimited and expensive at this time of the year.

In Stockholm itself, there are plenty of photo opportunities, with nature in the city itself, since

the town is located on islands surrounded by water.

You would need to spend at least a day in Stockholm itself.

Nature within and close to Stockholm itself:

several parks that are more nature than parks:

Djurgården, Ekoparken etc

Tyresta national park, if you want to see some more forest.

http://www.tyresta.se/in-english/

tyresta.se/pdf/folder_tyresta_eng_2010.pdf

rimini
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

Hi, i am spending saturday 30 and sunday 31 in Stockholm, on my own. I fear that Easter is day where, since is holiday, best places to see are closed and also most of the pepole are at home, so it will be a kind of a sad city, during that day.

What wolud you suggest to me to do during those days, especially 31? I looked for concert, for ex classical music also in the afternoon of 31, but so far i did not find any.

thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
582 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

Skansen and most museums are open on March 31.

The Vasa museum is however closed due to reconstruction.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
505 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

I think you would be able to occupy yourself for 2 days in Stockholm. While there are some museums that are closed at the time, most are open.

Nationalmuseum, and Vasamuseet are both closed for renovation.

The city itself itself is the best sight, and that doesn't close.

You could spend some time, strolling in the Old town, and along the seafront, maybe take a boat trip to Fjäderholmarna, or even the a short trip in the archipelago, and maybe a museum also, dependent on what you like to do.

I don't find any concerts on 31/3, (but there might still be some church concert). There is an choir / organ concert in St Jacob's church, on the 30/3, with works by Johann Sebastian Bach.

Sofia church has some concerts, and also some music with the regular church service, both on the 30:th and the 31st of march.

There might be concerts in other churches as well.

Regarding museums, you need to think of which ones you are interested in, and check whether they are open. It requires some more advance planning, that's all.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

Hey there . Thank you for all your replies . I do realize that i am quite late in replying . As it turn out tripadvisor does not send you a mail whenever you have a reply (or maybe i missed something) so didn't check your out .

As it turned out . I managed to go to Flam. I didnt take norway in a nutshell as i realized that i would spend all the day travelling and wouldnt get to savour the beauty of nature. I spent 3 days in the flam valley mostly walking and clicking . It was a wonderful experience .

On the week prior to that i managed to see some of the stockholm . As it was still snowing so the parks and other regular places were out of question . I did however managed to see the archipelago, skansen and gamla stan.

I have posted some of the pics on my page (OneShotAtLife) . Have a look if you have time . http://www.facebook.com/BlessedByLens

Thanks for your suggestion though . :)

Edited: 3:45 am, June 06, 2013
8. Re: Extended easter weekend plans from Stockholm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 08, 2014