We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary for scandinavia

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Topic
itinerary for scandinavia

Hi.

My friend and I are planning to travel to the Scandinavian countries in August for 2 weeks and I would love to get input on my itinerary.

We are flying into Copenhagen- spending 2.5 days there.

Our tickets are returning to the states from Bergen with the intention of visiting Sweden then Norway (possibly Helsinki, Finland).

Question 1 After Copenhagen we were wondering if anyone suggests doing side trips from copenhagen within denmark. I read that Ero is really nice. any suggestions on a must do side trip

Otherwise we head straight to Stockholm. Spend a 1-2 days in Stockholm.

Question 2 If we dont like cruises should we still head over to Helsinki (by plane) for a day.

Question 3: Any must do suggestions within Sweden

Question 4: I read somewhere that one might be able to see northern lights in August, is that true and where would that be

Question 5: Does anyone recommend we head north over the arctic circle

Our second week we head to Osl spend a 2 days there. Then head towards Bergen and the fjords- if we have 3 days there, suggestions?

All input would be greatly appreciated. As u can tell there are lots of gaps in this itinerary.

Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Q1. After Copenhagen, take the train to Louisiana: http://www.louisiana.dk/dk/Service+Menu+Right/English.

After that Helsingör and Hamlet's Castle.

Then a short ferry over to Helsingborg in Sweden. Spend One or two days here, exploring the countryside.Train to Stockholm. Lots of things to do. Then train to Oslo.

Q2: If not a cruiser to Helsinki, search for cheap airline ticket to Riga or Tallinn. Stay one or two nights.

Q3: Not knowing your age and interests, it's hard to recommend what to do.

Q4. You need a lot of luck to see northern light. I lived here all my life and have only seen it a couple of times. Once in Denmark during summer.

Q5: Depends on what you wanna do. If you don't have much time, you better travel by air.

My general advice is to focus on fewer stops. You loose a day on every leg.

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Thank u for ur response. Really helpful. I thought I responded sooner but see I didnt. We are in our 30's and love nature.

Whats the best way to get to Helsingör. How far is it from copenhagen. Do we then continue same day Helsingborg. Any suggestions on must sees in Helsingborg.

Also does it make sense to fly into stockholm or train?

Thanks again.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Train from Copenhagen to Louisiana (Humlebæk) takes approx 30 minutes and from Humlebæk to Helsingør 10 minutes. Ferry Helsingør - Helsingborg takes 20 minutes.

If you haven't booked your train to Stockholm already a flight might be cheaper. Discounted train tickets are released 90 days prior to departure and they tend to sell out quickly. There are no direct trains from Helsingborg to Stockholm, you must change trains in Hässleholm. This is very easy though.

Trains Helsingborg - Stockholm: www.sj.se/start/startpage/index.form?l=en

Flights Helsingborg - Stockholm:

SAS: http://www.flysas.com/en/us/

Kullaflyg: http://www.kullaflyg.se/mainmenu/book.aspx

Flights Copenhagen and Malmö to Stockholm:

SAS: http://www.flysas.com/en/us/

Norwegian Airlines: http://www.norwegian.com/en/

Malmö Aviation: http://www.malmoaviation.se/o.o.i.s/1076

Norwegian airlines usually have the best prices.

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Thank u again. What About if we took a day trip or two-day trip to ero. Any input. Can we do it in a day trip? If we overnight can we go from that area to Sweden by plane or what would u suggest Trying to figure out how to include it while estimating travel time. I understood ittakes about 4 hours to get there. Thanks again u have helped me so much.

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Thank u again. What About if we took a day trip or two-day trip to ero. Any input. Can we do it in a day trip? If we overnight can we go from that area to Sweden by plane or what would u suggest Trying to figure out how to include it while estimating travel time. I understood ittakes about 4 hours to get there. Thanks again u have helped me so much.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
98 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

What is ero?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Ærø :-)

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Finally found Ærø on the map. It's almost in Germany. :-) I guess you mean the island of Ærø when you write Ero?

Well, you could get a direct train from Odense to Stockholm. I can see that there are ferries from Ærø to Faaborg.

Do you want to do Ærø as a daytrip? From where? Copenhagen? It is too far away as a daytrip. Have a look at google maps.

You can't get a flight from the "Ærø area" to Sweden. Nearest airports with flights to Sweden are Copenhagen, Billund and Lübeck in Germany.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
648 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary for scandinavia

Found time tables for the Ærø ferries on the internet. Travel times seem to be:

Train Copenhagen - Svendborg 2 hours 25 minutes

Ferry Svendborg - Ærø 1 hour 15 minutes

So you are right, it takes approx 4 hours to get there.

If you want to go from Ærø to Sweden you have to back track to Copenhagen and train or fly from there.

Brooklyn, New York
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary for scandinavia