We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit?

When is the best time to visit Sweden? My in-laws would like to go when it's around 60F, not too hot, not too cold. Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit?

First off, it depends whereabouts in Sweden! The southern tip of Sweden, which includes Malmo, has a more typical northern European climate - though still with cold winters. The far north, Norrland, has a very short summer and very long, extremely harsh winters.

As a very very general rule, November-April will probably be pretty grim temperature wise wherever you are. Summers can be surprisingly hot, even in the north. In that sense, late May-early June or early September can be good times, and these also avoid the crowds in tourist areas.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit?

Wintertime in Sweden is very cold with lots of snow (not so much in the south these days, but Stockholm north there is still good amounts) and ice. Stockholm is very beautiful this time of year, but it's COLD.

Summertime is definitely the time to go - hot in Sweden is not even related to hot in North Carolina. Look for highs in middle to south sweden usually to fall in the 70s on a sunny day. They have hot spells, but they are usually short and rarely top 90 degrees. North Sweden will be cooler with lots of mosquitoes. My family won't even go up there in the summer because of the mosquitoes.

Midsummer is a fun and celebratory time - you can go to a Midsommarfest which is fun and it is usually right in the area you're talking about. Somewhat humid, cool at night. It's also not usually hot that soon - June 21st. I'd recommend then to go - the Swedes love it for a reason.

Sweden
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit?

As the others that posted before me says, it really depends on wich part of Sweden.

You could divide Sweden in this parts:

The most southern part(icluding places like Malmö, Kalmar, Växjö): No meaning going here in the winter. Summer is the best time, spring and autumn also works but I recommend summer!

The southern middle part (including places like Stockholm, Uppsala, Karlstad): No real meaning going here in the winter either, but both summer and spring/autumn are nice times to visit this parts!

The northen middle part (including places like Östersund, Härnösand, Umeå): Best time to visit are probably in the winter, alot of great places to ski, lots of snow and cold =D.. You can also go here other times of the year but winter are probably best, No real problems with mosquitos in the summer/autumn if you don't are planning to live way out in the wilderness =P!

The most northen part: Very dark in the winter so the early spring is the best time to visit if you want to see some winter-ish surroundings. Very beautiful to visit in the spring and in the summer, and also in the autumn. Maybe some mosquitos in the summer and autumn but they won't kill you, absolutley the best nature experience in Sweden!