We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draconian Parking Tickets

Which Helsingoer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Draconian Parking Tickets

Watch out if you try to park in this place.

We were slapped with a $240 parking ticket for not having the ridiculous parking disk in the public lot by the castle. I guess it's to be expected from small minded bureaucrats, but the parking authorities in Helsingor have zero compassion with foreigners who don't know about the parking disk and just arrived off the ferry.

You have been warned.

PS. If anyone from the helsingor tourist bureau ever reads this you can rest assured we will never return and we will recommend to others that they stay away despite the fact that both the castle and the town are nice places to visit.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draconian Parking Tickets

I'm sorry this happend to you.

I've checked the official homepage for the castle, in Danish it states that you can only park for 4 hours - meaning you have to use your parking disk.

In English it makes no mentioning of this limitation. I will write them about this.

However the amount you quote is way too much - it should be no more than 600 DKR at the most.

If nothing else you could complain about this to the Helsingør Kommune that runs the parking lot.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draconian Parking Tickets

The parking ticket is DKK 510 - CAD 95, USD 92.

Would I be exempted from fines in Canada for not knowing the rules/laws?

Which registration plates did your car have?

Hans

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Draconian Parking Tickets

You will have to stay out of the whole country, then. Parking tickets are fixed by law, It's fixed at DKK 510 no less, no more, and it's the same in all and every city in Denmark, and it's enforced nearly everywhere. If you don't use a parking disc where parking is time restricted or make another parking violation, you will be fined DKK 510. Sorry, but so it is. If your car has a foreign registration, you might get about not to pay, though, but if it is a rental car, the rental company will probably charge the bill to your credit card when they receive it.

Edited: 4:36 am, April 28, 2010
4. Re: Draconian Parking Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 26, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Helsingoer