We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

hello,

i am an american student living in stockholm, so right now i'm thinking of taking a quick short weekend trip to copenhagen in the middle of october (i've never been to denmark) just to see a new place and do a little bit of shopping. so is this an ok time to go? i'm assuming it won't be any worse than stockholm, weather wise. and is the shopping better than what i can find up here or the same? i'm not expecting a london or paris, but a bit more variety would be nice...

thanks for any advice. also would welcome suggestions on where to stay.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
326 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

You will find copenhagen far better shop-wise that Stockholm. I frequently visit both cities and i find that there are much more in Copenhagen. Go down the main pedestrian shopping street in Copenhagen and all the side streets especially towards "Nyhavn" end visit all the side streets.

Prices though are an inch more expensive than Stockholm especially on clothes.

Regarding the weather it is all most the same. you should expect a couple of degrees higher.

How long will you be staying - and what is your budget regarding the place to stay. If it is low budget o you then mind staying just out side central Copenhagen?

I know that there are offers right now on the direct X2000 train. So you might look into that...

And by the way - Note that most shops do NOT open on sundays in Denmark like they often do in Sweden.

Regards

Adrian

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

thanks for the reply. i probably only have enough time to go for just the weekend, saturday morning - sunday evening. i guess i could go shopping saturday morning and do some sightseeing on sunday (flying sas very early in the morning is actually cheaper than the train!). i wouldn't mind paying more to stay somewhere central for the one night so i could just walk to everything.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

Definitely go shopping on strøget (the pedestrian shopping street). But since you are American you will probably also appreciate the mall. Take the Metro to Ørestad station and go to Field's, the biggest mall in Denmark. Also, if you want to do cheap shopping and if the weather is okay, I would explore Nørrebro...

I'm so jelaous you are abroad! I was in Copenhagen last spring.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

If you want to avoid finding the same clothes as in Sweden I would suggest you explore some of the many up-coming independent designers in CPH. In recent years sooo many new shops have opened and a lot of them are located on the same streets, though not exactly in the center of Copenhagen.

Istedgade - located behind the Central station. You'll find the shops beginning halfway down the street...first part is red light district - but safe, safe, safe:-) No worries.

Elmegade - on Nørrebro. Take the bus No. 5 and get off at the third stop after the lakes.

These smaller shops close around 2pm on saturdays - so you may even have time to do both one of these and inner city...

tricota
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

visitcopenhagen.com/press/…_shopping

A bit of reading for insperation. I dont know when you are planing on going, but the shops in the inner city sometime have open on sundays. It is normaly the first sunday in the month.

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

By the way - if you come here the last weekend of October there'll be a huge outlet sale called Designer Forum.

http://www.forumcopenhagen.dk/english/Calendar/Event+calendar/ca40/eventid/17982#

It's easy to get there by either bus or metro and you can find some amazing bargains from all sorts of danish and international designers. It's open both Saturday and Sunday.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
33 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

Hi.

You should be aware that week 42.

October 16 to October 22 is a school holiday, and there is usually a lot of things going on in that week at museums etc. That might be worth looking into.

For shopping you should know that almost all shops are closed on sundays.

8. Re: weekend in copenhagen? shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 23, 2009