We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips outside of Copenhagen

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Trips outside of Copenhagen

I am going to be at a conference in Copenhagen on October4-6th. We will get to see a lot of the cities main attractions during this time. I will have most of Friday-Sunday to adventure outside of Copenhagen and maybe even Denmark. Any suggestions on some easy flights or train trips to take for a night or two? Since I live in New York City I prefer to visit smaller towns that have more of a flare for cluture then big cities. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips outside of Copenhagen

I think Bornholm might be worth checking out. It is a small Island, that can be reached within an hour by airplane. There is lots of small towns, beautiful nature, a fairly huge ruined castle, a few glassblowing workshops, and lots of smoked herring, which is a speciality of the island.

Otherwise Skagen by the westcoast in Northern Jutland is also very beautiful. The two oceans surrounding Denmark meet there. It is an old fishing village and also a wellknown artist place, because of the natural ligth that is amazing up there (P.S. Krøyer and Anna Ancher lived there).

:)

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
50 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips outside of Copenhagen

Hi!

Bornholm is a very nice place to visit. A small ang cozy island. You can also visit Malmö in Sweden. It takes just about 30 minutes by train over the Öresund-bridge to get there. A smaller city than Copenhagen with some interesting things to see and do. Dont miss the "Turning Torso"-building or the sprawling cultural life. If you want something even smaller, a nice alternative is Ystad, 45 minutes by train from Malmö. A very old and nice town. From Ystad you can also take the ferry to Bornholm.

Have a nice trip!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
326 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips outside of Copenhagen

Well i have to disagree with the previous posts... Even though Bonholm is very nice it is not that easy to get to and it is not that interessting unless you seek relaxing atmosphere and nature...

I would rather stay at your hotel and go for daytrips to OLD cities where you are able to see buildings and castles that are several 100 years old. For instance you could take the direct train to 'Hillerød' A very relaxed city with a must see castle and garden. Also 'Helsingør' is VERY nice also with old buildings - and here you would be able to visit 'Kronborg'. A HUGE castle with a LOT to see (History over 500 years). When you are done you could take the ferry across the sea to 'Helsingborg' and continue here... The ferry sails every 20 min and only takes 20 min. to cross and is very cheap. All above can be done with no car since we have EXCELLLENT and extremly frequent public transport here....

Maybe consider "Roskilde" which have a very old and large cathedral. Roskilde Domkirke dates back a 1000 years and is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Also very easy to get to from Copenhagen.

All 3 cities re within 1 hour by train.

Links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronborg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredensborg_Palace

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roskilde_Cathedral

Adrian

4. Re: Trips outside of Copenhagen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 23, 2009