We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus and ticket questions

Berlin, Germany
5 posts
Save Topic
bus and ticket questions

I am currently in Copenhagen. I have a flexcard, and have only used the metro and s-trains so far. Sometimes I need to use buses as well, but i feel so insecure.

As i have a flexcard, do i show it to the driver each time i get on the bus? I know there are "punch machines" for klippekort and blue check in/check out points for rejsekort. But how does it work if i have a flexcard?

I am also planning to buy 24 h-tickets when i am making day trips outside Copenhagen. They are sold as klippekort with one klip. How do i use them? Am i supposed to punch them each time i am making a new journey, or only when i will use it for the first time?

When i use local buses in Copenhagen, will it be announcements so i know where to get off? I can handle audio announcements and danish names, as long as you actually can hear them. Although visual ones would be nice.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus and ticket questions

You show the flexcard to the driver and you validate the 24h ticket first time you travel.

Hans

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus and ticket questions

Almost all buses have a survey of the line´s bus stops written above the the central doors.

Most buses also have a large written digital display of them, placed not far from the driver.

Sometimes there are oral announcements too.

Busses have a free map of the major routes placed by the central door. The smaller bus routes also have a free yellow brochure with that line´s schedules. The A-buses (=those with a red, painted line) don´t have such yellow brochures, since the buses run with dense, but somewhat flexible intervals. The A-lines and their stops are however on the free map of the major routes.

Finally, yoo can ask the driver to announce a stop for you, or ask him for directions.

I think you´ll be allright!

Edited: 12:50 am, June 29, 2014
Berlin, Germany
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bus and ticket questions

Joen: Are the digital displays supposed to show announcements as you mention them? I took bus 66 today, from Kobenhavn H/Copenhagen train station to Kvaesthusbroen. Although I did get off at Christiansborg Palace. The digital display only showed the current zone you are travelling in and the time at the moment. There were audio/oral announcements, so I knew where to get off. Is this common for local buses?

I have got a bus, train and metro-guide, which is very useful. But i thought it may be no annoucements and i maybe would miss a bus stop or two if i would look through a window trying to figure out where i am. I guess i overreacted.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus and ticket questions

The digital display would normally show the bus stop names, but there are various types of buses and displays. Maybe-maybe the display didn´t have that function, or maybe it was out of order.

Most A-buses normally have digital displays with names, for instance.

Edited: 9:10 am, June 29, 2014
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bus and ticket questions

Hi - I am travelling from C/hagen airport to Blegdamsvej 9 2100 København Ø & intend using the Metro & Bus - returning on the same day max 10 hours. Can anyone please let me how many ticket zones I have to purchase & will I be covered for the return back to the airport? I would prefer not to have to buy separate tickets. Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus and ticket questions

Airport to Blegdamsvej 9 is 3 zones (DKK 36).

If you don't want to buy separate tickets, you can buy a 24h CityPass (DKK 80).

Hans

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bus and ticket questions

Hi - Although there is a saving on separate tickets, as this is my first solo trip & time is precious, it may be best that I buy the 24hr ticket at the airport & be done with it.

Thank You so much for your speedy reply. Regards

Berlin, Germany
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bus and ticket questions

So far, I have not travelled with a-buses or S-buses. Is this why I only see zones and times on electronical displays? I even managed to get off at wrong locations. Oral announcements are not always easy to hear or understand (as danes seem to pronounce some names and words slighty different, and not exactly as they are written/spelled). When travelling in rush hour you have to stand up, and it's not a good time to check bus route maps or check bus stops through the windows, and some drivers have forgotten to make sure i get off at the right bus stop. I am about to give up and i may only use metro and s-trains from now on, and walk longer distances.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus and ticket questions

Oral Danish is somewhat different from the written language, some drivers don´t speak in a very clear way, yes, and you are right that it can be difficult to see and hear on busy lines.

But:

1) ask the driver for an announcemnet of your bus stop and then stay near him & ask him again, when you approach the area, in order to be sure to hear it and him remembering it. Bus driver are used to provide that service.

2) get a yellow schedule plan near the middle door or from the driver, and then follow the names of the bus stops on the roadside signs from time to time, until you reach "your" area.

Edited: 1:23 pm, June 30, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus and ticket questions

3) .... and of course you can also ask your fellow passengers ;-).

Edited: 1:25 pm, June 30, 2014