We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copenhagen for New Years 2013

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Copenhagen for New Years 2013

Hello all,

Me and my girlfriend are travelling to Copenhagen for New Years 31/12/13 - 02/01/14. I was wondering if anybody can help answer some questions?

Will there be restaurants available without having to pre book on new years eve?

Are there any restaurants you can recommend that will provide a "Danish experience" so traditional food not a Chinese restaurant etc?

What time would you recommend arriving at the Central Square to watch the fireworks(for a good spot)?

Are all shops/restaurants/bars closed on New Years day? Or will there be some open to visit or is the whole of Copenhagen in shutdown?

I understand from some research that New Years in Denmark is mainly a private and family traditional event so therefore appreciate any help towards finding me a plan of action in order to enjoy Copenhagen and celebrate New Years.

Thanks for any help in advance its very much appreciated.

Mitch :)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

I would advise not to go to the city square. There is a metro construction and the biggest part of it is closed. It is always a mess and it can be pretty dangerous with all the drunkers and explosions.

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

I'd suggest heading down to the Lakes....Danes head here to set off fire works.....it is spectacular.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

I agree. Queen Louise's bridge.

Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
576 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

I agree - go to the Lakes instead, location as Heroneya suggests. It is the best. City Square is awful.

What kind of restaurant are you looking for? Lots of restaurants offer a NYE dinner. What is your budget?

And yes, the city is more or less shut down on January 1, but you should be able to find a cafe or restaurant. Please note that many shops etc also close early on December 31.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

Thanks for the information :)

For NYE I was hoping for a traditional Danish restaurant or somewhere that offers Steaks, Pizzas, Pasta etc? For budget I would be happy with paying 800 - 1000 Krone roughly... Would that be a realistic budget for dinner (2/3 course each and a bottle of wine?)

The fireworks at Queen Louise Bridge is it a pay performance or just locals setting off their own?

Thanks, Mitchell.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

It is 'just locals setting off their own'.

Hans

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

It is just locals setting off their own but it is a lot of locals - you won't be disappointed!

Is your budget per head? If so, that should be fine, if it is for two then it is a bit optomistic.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

Budget per person, any recommendations for restaurants?

Thanks for the information on fireworks at the lakes, very appreciated :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copenhagen for New Years 2013

can i see the xmas market after jan 5

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply