We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

I have read on this forum that Denmark requires that your passport be valid for at least six months from arrival date. As luck would have it, my passport expires Jan 23rd next year, and I arrive in Copenhagen on Nov 4th this year, meaning my passport will expire just over 11 weeks after I arrive.

Is it true that it must be valid for 3 months? If so, I will have to rush to get it renewed!

Thanks,

Mike

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Your passport or other form of valid travel document must be valid for three months past the visa expiration date. Moreover, the passport or travel document must have been issued within the past 10 years.

https:/…when_is_visa_granted.htm

Hans

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Thank you. I won't have a visa since one is not required. So must my passport be valid for 3 months past my date of entry?

BCA
usa
Level Contributor
514 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Your post brought back terrible memories of a trip to Southeast Asia ten years ago. We were traveling with our two young kids and we had no idea that passports needed to be valid 6 months past the date of expiration. We even worked with a travel agent for some of the trip's details and he didn't tell us. My husband and my passports were fine but the kids (ages 10 & 13) didn't have 6 months. We were able to travel in and out of several countries but upon leaving Bankonk we were informed that we had a big problem and the airline wouldn't guarantee we would be allowed into Indonesia. To make a long story short, we spent several days stuck in Singapore while working with the US Embassy to acquire emergency passports. It was a nightmare!

Make sure you confirm the requirement for Denmark from a reliable source and follow it! You don't want to ruin your holiday.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Actually it's not a requirement for Denmark, but a requirement for Schengen which Denmark is a part of.

Canadians are granted a 90 days stay (in any 180 days period) without a visa (which is the same as if a visa was required), so your passport must be valid for 6 months past your date of entry.

Hans

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Thank you for your advice Hans and BCA. I plan now to renew my passport.

6. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:41 am, January 25, 2013
Edited: 1:41 am, January 25, 2013
7. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:42 am, January 25, 2013
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Hello Hans I can see that Sri Lanka is mentioned beside your name. I'm sorry of my poor English but I hope you understand. My dad wants to visit me in Denmark, but his passport expires August 27 - 2013. Do you know when he has to travel or leave Sri Lanka if he use the this passport? I also learned that he has to go on another airplane in Dubai and then from Dubai to Denmark. Will Dubai rules have any influences in this case because I guess they have some rules too even though it is only for going to another airplane? Hope you can help. BTW: he is a British citizen even though he is born and live in Sri Lanka. And in his passport it says British citizen. Could he travel maybe in the middle of April even though his passport expires August 27. 2013?

9. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Removed on: 1:43 am, January 25, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denmark requires passport be valid for at least 3 month?

Is he travelling on a Sri Lankan or a British passport?

He will not pass immigration for transiting in Dubai if he he is flying on one through ticket.

Hans